• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ gave me the go-ahead to lead some conversion threads while he focuses on the Dukes of Hell. Here's one I've been dying to do for several years. ;)

Death Demon
Armor Class: 4
Hit Dice: 7**
Move: 90' (30') Fly 180' (60')
Attacks: 3
Damage: 1-4/1-4/2-8 +special
No. Appearing: 1-4
Save As: Fighter 7
Morale: 10
Treasure Type: E
Alignment: Chaotic

Death demons, also known as Ostegos, appear as 10' tall gaunt, hairless humanoids with gray scaly skin. Ivory fangs protrude from their mouths and their fingers are tipped with adamantine talons. Their eyes glow like smoldering coals and two huge bat-like wings
grow out of their back.

Death demons attack with their claws and fangs. Any creature struck by its claw must save vs. Paralysis or be paralyzed for 2-8 turns. Any creature bitten by a death demon must save vs. Poison at -2 or die.

Death demons also have infravision, 60 range, and the abilities to teleport with no error and cause darkness, 10 radius.

Source: X2 Castle Amber.

Echohawk's index shows that it also appeared in AC9, DMR2, and Twilight of the Dawn. Can someone with these sources handy post any differences in these stats?

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Here's one I've been dying to do for several years. ;)

Death Demon
<snip>
Yay!

Echohawk's index shows that it also appeared in AC9, DMR2, and Twilight of the Dawn. Can someone with these sources handy post any differences in these stats?
I can check DMR2 tonight.

Regards
Mortis

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:

i can try to do that when i get the chance. i don't know what Twilight of the Dawn is, and i doubt that i have it.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
AC9 looks nearly identical, but includes:
  • XP Value: 1250
DMR2 also lists this XP value, plus a few other minor additions:
  • Hit Dice: 7** (L)
  • Intelligence: 8
  • Monster Type: Planar Monster (Very Rare)
Twilight of Dawn isn't an official product, but the name of the fan site where this conversion appears.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Great, thanks!

In that case, we should be able to get going on this.

First off, do we make it tanar'ri, or leave it as an untyped demon? The flavor text is so light that we've got plenty of wiggle room.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Great, thanks!
Yeah saves me a job. :)

First off, do we make it tanar'ri, or leave it as an untyped demon? The flavor text is so light that we've got plenty of wiggle room.
I'd go untyped there are enough tanar'ri around. Or perhaps one or the other types from FC I?

Regards
Mortis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads