• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Converting pathfinder adventure paths to 5e

tuxedoraptor

First Post
This is something I have started doing, curse of the crimson throne converts almost seamlessly to 5e, however rise of the runelords has proven to be a headache and a half to convert. Has anyone else done this?

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I converted Rise of the Runelords!

Unfortunately, I don't have any of my notes, anymore. Let that be a lesson to you: always backup your stuff.

However, that being said, the only issue I had was the Haunts in the second chapter; I also cut the big dungeon underneath Sandpoint, and decided to add it in much later, when the sinkhole opens beneath the town.

What specifically are you having issues with?

Two things:
1. There's a conversion of RotR's first three installments floating around - think it's from reddit. Some googling should do it.
2. Post everything you have for a 5e conversion of CotCT! Including learnings, please ;)

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Two things:
1. There's a conversion of RotR's first three installments floating around - think it's from reddit. Some googling should do it.
2. Post everything you have for a 5e conversion of CotCT! Including learnings, please ;)

I would also like the conversions for Curse of the Crimson Throne.

tuxedoraptor

First Post
Curse of the crimson throne is rather easy to convert. At least as far as I have gotten. Since most of the enemies are NPCs, I just found one that was similiar in either volos or the monster manual. It was very easy to do. I am planning on running it for my group when xanathars guide to everything drops.

As for runelords, a lot of the monsters are pretty hard to replicate in 5e, it wasn't a big deal for the first two and a half chapters but once the black maga shows up, things start to fall apart. I also don't see any easy way to convert the final boss to 5e. So I may just hold off on it.

Heres what I did for the NPCs:
gray maiden: champion (volos guide to monsters) with longbow instead of crossbow, lower levels, a knight works just fine.

Queens physicians: the thug stat block works fine, as does the spy later on.

blackjack: easily a swashbuckler

the lamms were rather easy to make: rolth was a necromancer, his father was a spy. I haven't gotten any farther than the beginnings of escape from old korvosa. Most of the time I just find a monster that is similiar enough to the one in question and go from there.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Curse of the crimson throne is rather easy to convert. At least as far as I have gotten. Since most of the enemies are NPCs, I just found one that was similiar in either volos or the monster manual. It was very easy to do. I am planning on running it for my group when xanathars guide to everything drops.

As for runelords, a lot of the monsters are pretty hard to replicate in 5e, it wasn't a big deal for the first two and a half chapters but once the black maga shows up, things start to fall apart. I also don't see any easy way to convert the final boss to 5e. So I may just hold off on it.

I wonder if the Tome of Beasts would fill some of the gaps?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Someday technology will reach the point where you upload an adventure for any RPG and an AI converts and spits it out perfectly for the system of your choosing.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Someday technology will reach the point where you upload an adventure for any RPG and an AI converts and spits it out perfectly for the system of your choosing.

By that point AIs will be writing the adventures for us...!

Remove ads