• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Planescape monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Good question. This quote is ambiguous.

They are invisible to the naked eye, and insubstantial as well. Like ethereal creatures, they can travel through solid objects without hindrance. In their in substantial state, they cannot interact with the Prime Material Plane. However, they can possess mortals and cause them to sicken and, in some cases, die.
Those able to see invisible objects (through the detect invisibility spell, for instance) are confronted by a bestial-looking devil with scales, claws and wings. This appearance, though frightful, is only an affectation. Mezzikim actually have little power while insubstantial.

I think I vote naturally invisible, but perhaps we should let them turn the invisibility off.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Modifying the ghost's malevolence...

Possession (Su): Once per round, a mezzikim can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the mezzikim's Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the mezzikim must move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the possession ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful DC X Will save. A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same mezzikim's possession for 24 hours, and the mezzikim cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the mezzikim vanishes into the target’s body. The save DC is Charisma-based.

A creature possessed by a mezzikim gains the <insert name here> template. A mezzikim may use its contagion spell-like ability against its host.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Looks good, but I think that the mezzakin (and the mezzakin ridden creature, perhaps?) should be able to use contagion on others as well.

freyar

Possession looks good. Actually, I think only the templated joint creature should have contagion; while the original text doesn't suggest it can use contagion on other critters, I think that's a reasonable extrapolation.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's give it to both. It seems that the mezzikim might use it as "punishment" upon its host.

Updated.

Should we give it an incorporeal touch attack of some sort, or drop it?

Skills: 8 at 9 ranks
Intimidate, Listen, Knowledge (the planes), Spot...

Feats: 3
Ability Focus (possession)...

freyar

While insubstantial, mezzikim can neither make attacks nor be attacked. They can, however, use the following magical abilities, each three times per day: affect normal fires, audible glamer, cantrip, and ventriloquism.

So I think no incorporeal touch, just these SLAs. And I'd like to drop contagion from the mezzikim and only give it to the templated creature version.

Those skills plus Bluff, Concentration, Disguise, Tumble? Bluff and Disguise to act like the host during possession, Tumble for the inevitable combat while possessing someone?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm still convinced that contagion should remain...

Other than this special attack, the mezzikim can corrupt the body of the host. At any point of the possession, the mezzikim can cause disease on the victim. The devil chooses the potency of the disease, as per the spell. There is also a 25% chance that the disease is contagious.

Remove ads