• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting prehistoric animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Looks reasonable. Are we going to stick to the listed 10 HD, or bump it to 15 to be competitive with the mammoth and mastodon? Personally, I'd be alright with leaving its HD lower.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I used the woolly mammoth's size and weight as placeholders.

We still need natural armor. Here are the other elephantlike creatures' modifiers:

Woolly Mammoth +10
Grizzly Mastodon +8
Mastodon +8
Elephant +7

I'm inclined to go with +8 to +9, since they were probably less shaggy and fatty than the cold-dwelling mammoths.

For feats, it gets 4:
Woolly Mammoth: Alertness, Endurance, Improved Bull Rush, Multiattack, Power Attack
Grizzly Mastodon: Alertness, Endurance, Bull Rush, Power Attack, Toughness (2)
Mastodon: Alertness, Endurance, Improved Natural Attack (gore), Improved Natural Attack (slam), Iron Will, Toughness
Elephant: Alertness, Endurance, Iron Will, Skill Focus (Listen)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's go with +8 natural armor.

Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Multiattack, Power Attack

Shade

Monster Junkie
Its odd that none of them have Awesome Blow or Improved Bull Rush, isn't it? AB is probably redundant with toss, but I could see IBR rather than Alertness. Thoughts?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I say go with +8 natural armor and Imp. Bull Rush instead of Endurance. Alertness would be handy in thick forests, but resources are more common, meaning Endurance is less important.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Good call. I only picked Endurance 'cause all the other ones have it, but I like IBR better anyway.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

CR 8? (A woolly mammoth is CR 9, and since animals improve at the rate of 1 CR per 3 added HD, reversing would put it closer to CR-1 than CR-2)

Advancement: 11-20 HD (Huge); 21-28 HD (Gargantuan)?
Mammoths advance at 15-20 HD (Huge); 21-28 HD (Gargantuan), and I don't really see these advancing beyond the mammoth.

The current height and weight is that of a mammoth. I'd imagine these weigh less, due to needing less fat and fur in its more hospitable clime. Maybe 8 to 10 tons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads