Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Cleon

Legend
Here's the spider-climbish Ex ability we've used in the past, which should work well here...

Wallcrawling (Ex): The gacholoth need not make Climb checks to traverse a vertical or horizontal surface (even upside down). It retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class while climbing and opponents get no special bonus to their attacks against it.

That'll do fine, as will the +4 bonus on Fort saves vs disease, and I still fancy Lightning Reflexes as a bonus feat.

Shall we get back to arguing about the horsefly's bloody bite?;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I thought the consensus agreed upon new-style wounding (Con damage). At least, I'm pretty sure Demiurge and I both agreed on it, and freyar was undecided. ;)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I thought the consensus agreed upon new-style wounding (Con damage). At least, I'm pretty sure Demiurge and I both agreed on it, and freyar was undecided. ;)
I'm really confused now. I thought that you prefer bleeding (ongoing hp damage) and demiurge likes wounding (Con damage). I'm open to hp or Con damage, but I don't like ongoing hp damage. Like I said, I've had horsefly bites (hurt like crazy!), and it's like a chunk of flesh ripped off at once. It doesn't actually bleed much, like a scrape, just hurts! So of wounding or bleed, I'd go with wounding. But I could be swayed to a third option.

On the disease, it seems like only the bluebottle would have it from the original text. Anyone know if either of these carry disease in the real world?

Cleon

Legend
I'm really confused now. I thought that you prefer bleeding (ongoing hp damage) and demiurge likes wounding (Con damage). I'm open to hp or Con damage, but I don't like ongoing hp damage. Like I said, I've had horsefly bites (hurt like crazy!), and it's like a chunk of flesh ripped off at once. It doesn't actually bleed much, like a scrape, just hurts! So of wounding or bleed, I'd go with wounding. But I could be swayed to a third option.

Well I preferred the big chunk o' hit points model I proposed but am OK with Con damage from a wounding SA, so shall we settle on Wounding?

On the disease, it seems like only the bluebottle would have it from the original text. Anyone know if either of these carry disease in the real world?

I believe so. Bluebottles are attracted to decaying flesh so are good vectors for spreading around bacteria. The AD&D Giant Horsefly doesn't spread disease though.

So, shall we give the Giant Bluebottle o a filth fever bite like a Dire Rat?

Disease (Ex)
Filth Fever—Fortitude DC 12, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Filth fever for the bluebottle, red ache for the horsefly? And note in the horsefly's description that it can carry a variety of blood-borne diseases?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated bluebottle fly and horsefly.

Bluebottle:
Challenge Rating: x
Advancement: x
A giant bluebottle fly is 4 to 6 feet long and weighs x pounds.

Horsefly:
Organization: Solitary or swarm (2–4)?
Challenge Rating: x
Advancement: x
A giant horsefly is x to x feet long and weighs x pounds.

Remove ads