Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I assumed "Cha 0" was a typo, since earlier it was mentioned using the GBB's Cha 9.

So, is the stench always active or an area effect? If the latter, usages per day?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Seems to me like the original stench (though a death throes) was a 10 ft cone, so we should stick to that. I could go anywhere from 3/day to at will.

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

I assumed "Cha 0" was a typo, since earlier it was mentioned using the GBB's Cha 9.

You'd be correct.

So, is the stench always active or an area effect? If the latter, usages per day?

I was going for an X/day area effect, with a bonus immeadiate-action use as a Death Throes if (when) the beetle is killed.

Seems to me like the original stench (though a death throes) was a 10 ft cone, so we should stick to that. I could go anywhere from 3/day to at will.

A Giant Bombardier Beetle has a 10 ft. cone acid spray, so giving the Giant Stink Beetle a 10 ft/ cone stink spray feels correct.

I'd make it 2/day, for the sake of argument.:mad:

Although 3/day's not that bad.;)

freyar

How about the following?

Stink Spray (Ex): 3/day, a giant stink beetle can spray a 10 ft cone of odoriferous chemicals. Any creature caught in the cone must make a DC X Fort save or be sickened for 1d6+4 rounds. If the victim possesses the Scent special quality, it is instead nauseated for 1d6 rounds and then sickened for 2d6 minutes. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Death Throes (Ex): When a giant stink beetle dies, it releases a stink spray attack instantly, regardless of how many times it has used that special attack that day.

freyar

temperate forests
Cluster (2–5) or click (6–11)
toughish CR 2
4-6 HD (Medium), 7-9 HD (Large)
6 to 7 ft

Cleon

Legend
How about the following?

Stink Spray (Ex): 3/day, a giant stink beetle can spray a 10 ft cone of odoriferous chemicals. Any creature caught in the cone must make a DC X Fort save or be sickened for 1d6+4 rounds. If the victim possesses the Scent special quality, it is instead nauseated for 1d6 rounds and then sickened for 2d6 minutes. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Death Throes (Ex): When a giant stink beetle dies, it releases a stink spray attack instantly, regardless of how many times it has used that special attack that day.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, yes. Although it could be read as if creatures with scent are automatically nauseated. Maybe tweak it as follows:

Stink Spray (Ex): 3/day, a giant stink beetle can spray a 10 ft cone of odoriferous chemicals. Any creature caught in the cone must make a DC X Fort save or be sickened for 1d6+4 rounds. If the victim possesses the Scent special quality, it is instead nauseated for 1d6 rounds and then sickened for 2d6 minutes if it fails the Fort save. The save DC is Constitution-based.

I'm also wondering about giving a circumstance bonus to the save DC versus creatures with scent, something like the following, but it may be making it a bit too complicated.

Stink Spray (Ex): 3/day, a giant stink beetle can spray a 10 ft cone of odoriferous chemicals. Any creature caught in the cone must make a DC X Fort save or be sickened for 1d6+4 rounds. If the victim possesses the Scent special quality, it is instead nauseated for 1d6 rounds and then sickened for 2d6 minutes if it fails a DC Y Fort save. The save DC is Constitution-based, and includes a +Z circumstance bonus against creatures with the Scent special quality.

Cleon

Legend
temperate forests
Cluster (2–5) or click (6–11)
toughish CR 2
4-6 HD (Medium), 7-9 HD (Large)
6 to 7 ft

All that looks fine except I'd suggest temperate or warm forests, since many stinky beetles like in jungles and other tropical places.

Remove ads