Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Cleon

Legend
Let's drop the stunning. It just feels weird to me, mechanically. The rest looks good.

If you'd really like stunning, let's make it an alternate use of the water jet. Imagine a different setting on a power washer. ;)

While we could go for a blinding/stunning water jet as an alternative attack it seems too far from the original.

I will begrudgingly drop the stunning (while keeping it for my own version :p).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

These fish cruise near the surface and track prey by sight, following long enough to orient on course and speed. Then they break the surface in a jump and squirt their jets to bring down large insects, birds, and small water-dwelling animals.

Skills: 6 ranks
Spot 6? The Jump modifier is +12 thanks to speed and Str, so it probably doesn't need any ranks there.

Feats: 2
Skill Focus (Spot)? Weapon Focus (bite)?

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Skills: 6 ranks
Spot 6? The Jump modifier is +12 thanks to speed and Str, so it probably doesn't need any ranks there.

Feats: 2
Skill Focus (Spot)? Weapon Focus (bite)?

I've read these fish are very good shots with their spit, so I'm thinking Weapon Focus (water jet) or Point Blank Shot.

We could give it two WFs, one in bite and one in water jet, or WF (water jet) and PPS for a +2 to hit with its spit.

In either case, I prefer a racial bonus to Spot over Skill Focus.

That reminds me, should we have water jet on its attack line?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I just realized that although Large, it lacked the size modifier to AC, grapple, and attacks, and had an incorrect space/reach.

I like the idea of WF (water jet) and PBS. The water jet is its niche, so we might as well make that as effective as possible. And since it's usuable at will, I agree it should go on the attack lines.

Updated.

+4 racial bonus on Spot?

Cleon

Legend
I just realized that although Large, it lacked the size modifier to AC, grapple, and attacks, and had an incorrect space/reach.

I like the idea of WF (water jet) and PBS. The water jet is its niche, so we might as well make that as effective as possible. And since it's usuable at will, I agree it should go on the attack lines.

Shouldn't its water jet be +5 attack? (+2 BAB, -1 size, +2 Dex, +1 WF, +1 PPS)

+4 racial bonus on Spot?

That's what I'd go for.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I didn't include Point Blank Shot since it normally isn't include (and DMs might try to use it twice). I suppose we can note it with an asterix.

Challenge Rating: x

Advancement: x

A giant archerfish is about 9 feet long and weighs about x pounds.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A giant archerfish can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to two sizes smaller by making a successful grapple check. The swallowed creature takes xdx+x points of bludgeoning damage and x points of acid damage per round from the archerfish's gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal x points of damage to the gizzard (AC 11). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

A Large archerfish's gizzard can hold 2 Small, 8 Tiny, or 32 Diminutive or smaller opponents.

Cleon

Legend
I didn't include Point Blank Shot since it normally isn't include (and DMs might try to use it twice). I suppose we can note it with an asterix.

Well its water jet only has a 30 foot range, so PPS should always apply. Putting in an asterisk is a good idea though.

Challenge Rating: x

Advancement: x

A giant archerfish is about 9 feet long and weighs about x pounds.

They're not that tough. Challenge Rating 2?

Advancement: 4-6 HD (Large); 7-9 HD (Huge?) ?

I reckon they're roughly similar proportions to a clownfish. Upscaling the weight we gave the Giant Clownfish to 9 feet works out around 800 pounds.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A giant archerfish can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to two sizes smaller by making a successful grapple check. The swallowed creature takes xdx+x points of bludgeoning damage and x points of acid damage per round from the archerfish's gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal x points of damage to the gizzard (AC 11). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

A Large archerfish's gizzard can hold 2 Small, 8 Tiny, or 32 Diminutive or smaller opponents.

1d4+4 crushing damage and 2 points acid?

Cleon

Legend

It looks done except for its Fortitude Save, which should be +6 not +7. (+3 for 3HD Animal, +3 for Con 17)

EDIT: Oh, and I don't like "sharklike maw" in tactics since its jaws are nothing like a shark's. How about:

A giant archerfish attacks opponents with its bite. It uses its water jet to attempt to knock landbound or shipbound prey into the water. They can jump up to seize targets on branches or spars up to 20 feet above the water's surface.

Last edited:

Remove ads