• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting World of Greyhawk monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
For ability scores, I'd recommend using the giant slug's as a baseline:

Str 19, Dex 10, Con 12, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 2

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
We could probably take that straight-on. Maybe a higher Cha since it’s not (completely) mindless, and possibly a lower Dex.

Don’t want to spend a ton of time tying up this loose end; more in a few minutes. :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
busier today than i thought. :p

NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2-16

There is no explanation offered at all as to what this attack is. Could be a bite, a slam, or something else? Regardless, it won’t be used very often because:

If attacked, sea snails withdraw into their shell and release a vicious neurotoxin into the surrounding water. This poison affects all creatures within 20 feet, paralyzing them for 1d6 hours unless they roll successful saving throws vs. poison with a -3 penalty.

poison? Supernatural ability?

If the attack continues, the sea snail will wail. The round following the wail 1d10 charmed tritons arrive. Each round thereafter 1d10 more tritons arrive until a total of 50 are on the scene. These tritons fight to the death in defense of the sea snail.

could be like a summon monster spell, or perhaps it is a sonic effect that charms tritons?

Krishnath

First Post
As these creatures are in essence a giant (and slightly magical) version of the common conch snail, the attack would be from it's tounge (yes it sounds stupid but it's true).

As for the neurotoxin, that would be a poison cloud that is extraordinary in form.

And for the wail, I say that it is a sonic mind-affecting effect that is supernatural in origin... We should probably give it a save DC with a +4 racial bonus or some such... ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I agree with all that Krishnath proposed, and also recommend Ability Focus (neurotoxin) to account for that -3 penalty on saving throws.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
So…
Poison (Ex): 20-foot radius could around snail, Fortitude DC X, initial damage paralyzed 1d6 hours, secondary damage 1d3 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Wail (Su): A sea snail can let out a supersonic (or was that subsonic?) wail that can be heard for up to a mile. This wail affects tritons as a charm person spell. All tritons in range that fail their saving throw (Will DC X) converge on the sea snail at top speed, and will defend it to the death. This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

(we can raise the Cha since it is not mindless and is a magical beast – Cha 10 would suffice, as tritons only have Will +4, and the save DC would be 16)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
Poison (Ex): 20-foot radius could around snail, Fortitude DC X, initial damage paralyzed 1d6 hours, secondary damage 1d3 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Make that "cloud" (Type O Demon strikes again) and you might want to mention that it is contact poison.

BOZ said:
Wail (Su): A sea snail can let out a supersonic (or was that subsonic?) wail that can be heard for up to a mile. This wail affects tritons as a charm person spell. All tritons in range that fail their saving throw (Will DC X) converge on the sea snail at top speed, and will defend it to the death. This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

(we can raise the Cha since it is not mindless and is a magical beast – Cha 10 would suffice, as tritons only have Will +4, and the save DC would be 16)
Excellent. I dunno if it's super or subsonic.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Better? :)
Poison (Ex): Contact (20-foot radius COULD around snail), Fortitude DC X, initial damage paralyzed 1d6 hours, secondary damage 1d3 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Went and looked up subsonic, “of, relating to, or being a speed less than that of sound in air”, and I now remember that supersonic means really fast. ;) I’ll just keep it simple and go with “high-pitched” instead.

And raising Cha to 10 (or maybe raising the amps to 11) sounds good?

Shade

Monster Junkie
It all sounds subsonically good to me. I feel as if a gray could has been lifted. :p BTW, why not just raise the amps to 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads