• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

JDragon

Explorer
Ok as promised here are the second half of my pics from my game with the new projector in use.

This is in my living room during the afternoon, we normally keep the blinds closed but have all the lights on. I did not adjust the lights for the pictures so these are at our "Playing" brightness.

Let me know if they are hard to see.

I ended up running my projector in a 16/9 ratio which gave me a 30" high by 50" wide image to play with. The keystonning was not as bad in the 16:9 and not really noticible even with preprinted grids on the maps. :p

The only problem I ran into was that the remote control would not work today. It had worked for the last week for all the tests & demos but got nothing from it today even after changingthe batteries. Not sure if its the remote or the sensor, but will have to look into it in the next few weeks.

This is a full size picture from behind the couch where I sit. (so about 5-7 feet away)

This is from the end of the board we play on.

This is a little over half of the projected surface.

Here are a couple close ups of the area of the map that had been revealed when I took the pics.

For today's game the images were projected on to the game board that I had painted white. The board did not end up as smooth as I had planned so I will not be putting lines on it, but I did make a custom sheet of 1" graph paper at Kinko's for when we need grids. I made a 36 x 60 inch PDF in with a 1 inch grid and had it printed on their oversize B&W printer. It cost $12 for the print with no set up fee's.

If anyone would like the PDF I can email it to you, its only a 4k file. Just drop me an email at jdragon0000 at yahoo dot com and I'll get it out as soon as I can.

rom90125

Banned
Banned
Steel_Wind said:
2400 MP is a nice unit. When this thread started (nearly two years ago!) it was about $1,000.00 more than it is listing for now.

It is XGA, has a throw range competitive with most. At 5'9" - it's in the 42" diagonal range.

Contrast is 2000:1 or better. Brightness wise...at 3000 ANSI the biggest problem with the unit is that it may be TOO bright. That's a whole lot of VOOM in the ANSI lumens category. You can have too much of good thing. Certainly when the bulb is new and has yet to start to dim a bit, running that thing at full power may blast your player's eyes back in their skulls.

Run it in econo mode and you should be fine. Plus, at 36 db, it's a little loud at max brightness anyways.

Price at $1,049 right now is pretty good. You might look for a deal on a BenQ with similar features that includes a free lamp - some web dealers offer those.

But if Dell has your attention, I expect you'll be happy with it.

Well, I purchased this projector and it was delivered a couple of days ago. My son and I set it up tonight (James, thanks for helping the old man) and ran a proof of concept test. It was great! My group is playing tomorrow night, and to celebrate the addition of the projector, I created three areas with the Aurora tool set (immense swamp, large under-swamp cavern/ Black Dragon lair, and a forest area) and will have the group face off against a mad Black Dragon. I will take pics and then post them on Sunday.

ra-punzel72

First Post
Zoom out in NWN 2?

Hi there :)

My biggest problem is that I can not zoom out enough in NWN 2 (in NWN 1 too!) to display bigger maps in whole. Is there a possibility to do this?

Thx alot
RA-Punzel :)

Steel_Wind

Legend
ra-punzel72 said:
Hi there :)

My biggest problem is that I can not zoom out enough in NWN 2 (in NWN 1 too!) to display bigger maps in whole. Is there a possibility to do this?

Thx alot
RA-Punzel :)

In "game" you are not able to zoom out far enough. The references to using NWN1 (and 2) in this thread refer to displaying a map in the toolset - not "in game".

ra-punzel72

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
In "game" you are not able to zoom out far enough. The references to using NWN1 (and 2) in this thread refer to displaying a map in the toolset - not "in game".

I understand, we did this too in NWN 1. Is it possible to move a character around in the toolset of NWN 2 (or 1), so it simulates our thief exploring the area?

Steel_Wind

Legend
ra-punzel72 said:
I understand, we did this too in NWN 1. Is it possible to move a character around in the toolset of NWN 2 (or 1), so it simulates our thief exploring the area?

You could manually slide a character around in the toolset I suppose...

But really - use a miniature. That's what all of this projection stuff is for :)

ra-punzel72

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
You could manually slide a character around in the toolset I suppose...

But really - use a miniature. That's what all of this projection stuff is for :)

We use miniatures! But I loved it to explore the map with one charakter running accross...displaying our thief. And its great to have a scrolling picture so the player does have to memroize where the guards and interessting places are...instead of seeing the whole map at the end.

cyberpunk

First Post
Idea to fix skew

In your image editing software, skew your originals in the opposite direction, to the same degree, and the effects should cancel out when you project.

I am logged in as cyberpunk but I am not cyberpunk.

happy gnome

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads