• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

JDragon

Explorer
I'm thinking it would be great for setting up under your table aiming up at table.

I think some people have already done this set up before here on the boards.

Get an image as big as you want, and no shadows from people or minis. Plus no mirrors to worry about kicking. :p

I'll add it to my list to keep an eye out for in 3-4 years when I go to upgrade.

JD

Steel_Wind

Legend
cyberpunk said:
apologies if somebody's already brought this up ...

Sanyo's new projector has a mind-blowingly short throw distance

Ok, so it's US$6,000. When DVD burners first appeared in Wired magazine's fetish section they cost US$10,000.

Read the spec. You won't believe it.

For those who did not read the link, this new patented technology appears to break all the rules of optics.

Sir Isaac Newton's jaw would be dropping to the floor and doing a Wile E Coyote with the way the lens on this projector works.

The technology allows a projector unit to throw a 80" diagonal wide image from a distance of a few inches away. And, the image can be corrected digitally for "keystone" effect, so that you can mount the projector on the ceiling, essentially three inches away from the wall it is projecting onto, and it will work.

Or do the same on top of your tabletop. And yes - from beneath it too.

Sanyo has changed all the rules of optics at a stroke. The unit will retail for about $5,000.00. That buys you a 1024x768 2000 lumens image that will fill your gaming table - when mounted a few inches beneath it, safely out of the way of anybody kicking it.

Yes, the projector with this technology would be perfect for projection beneath the tabletop. It's mount and forget technology. Absolutely perfect for tabletop gaming.

The sad thing is that the technology is also patented up the wazoo, so it will be some time before it becomes available at a lower cost. But it will come.

However, the news on patents is not all bad. It is now only about 4 months or so to go before the principal patent involved in all modern projection technology expires.

Texas Instruments patent on the DLP chip, the tiny mirrored processor that powers all DLP projectors expires in early 2008. The expiry of that patent together with the pressure in the marketplace for new HDTV technology should drive the cost of projectors down in 2008 and we should see price drops in 2009 from increased competition.

Last edited:

Ruined

Explorer
I know this thread is ancient, but it's still awesome. I'm joining the ranks. Picked up my InFocus IN26+ today. Dundjinni maps are ready, and I'm working out the best way to mount it. I'm currently leaning towards positioning it high on top of a bookshelf and then reflecting it down, possibly with Mylar as mentioned above.

When I get it functional, I'll post the obligatory pictures.

3d6+15

Explorer
Ruined said:
I know this thread is ancient, but it's still awesome.

This thread will never die. It's the only one I've stayed subscribed to this long anywhere.

Not sure if I ever posted these, but here are some more pictures of my projector in use from last year (I think 2006 to be somewhat more specific.)

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h120/jdigaetano/Projector/

Sorry for the blurry. I'm a big fan of using the same map for combats as I do for reference just zoom them way the heck in, some maps look better than others when I do this.

To remind (update) everyone of my setup, that's a BenQ PB6200 (getting long in the tooth now! it also serves double duty these days for movies and Wii on a ceiling mount in another room) up inside my drop ceiling resting inside a wire soda rack which I have screwed to the joists.

My projection surface is a big whiteboard with the frame pried off.

The software is Fantasy Grounds. (I'm on Fantasy Grounds II these days.) One computer runs the projector and the players get a mouse and keyboard for it, and the DM has a computer behind the screen as the FG server.

The module is "Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil" for those of you who didn't figure that out. (We finished it in early 2007. We are playing The Savage Tide these days. Hrm, actually I think I took some photos of The Sea Maiden cardstock model on a projected ocean... I'll try to find those and get em up there. )

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads