Cooperative Games

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I don't know much about MERCS but I did just get another game that is done by the same company: Myth.

Myth has a TERRIBLE rulebook for starters, so terrible the company that makes the game had to put out a separate rulebook for starters and a couple of videos to help. But once we got into the actual gameplay itself, it was pretty fun. It's like Descent, but purely coop.

I also did play Mage Knight within the last couple of weeks. Though it's primarily competetive, there is a coop mode that is fun. Fun enough where I decided to get the xpac. :)

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm not much of a fan of Co-ops. They're more of a puzzle than a game. And there is the groupthink problem. I don't feel like I'm playing a game when everyone else is discussing what I should do on my turn.

That said, some of my favs are partial co-ops. BSG, Dead of Winter, Last Night on Earth, etc. Those are more either team games, or co-op with individual goals. But most of my favorites are competitive games. I get enough co-op gaming while roleplaying.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't wander into the boardgame forum much to discuss - but you folks have put some great ideas in here while I wasn't looking. Thanks!

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Pandemic is my all time favorite co-op game. I find everyone I have played with enjoys it, and that even when you get your behind beat by the game you often want to immediately play again to get revenge. It is also plays pretty quickly so you could play 3 or 4 games in an evening and not be wiped out.

Robinson Crusoe is more of a "story" game (and thus maybe more fun for roleplayers) but ultimately less balanced in some of the scenarios.

I just purchased Pandemic: The Cure (a dice game with a similar theme to Pandemic) and hope it gets here soon. I've been drooling over it for awhile.

Herschel

Adventurer
Dead of Winter and Eldritch Horror are my current faves. I just tried Mice & Mystics and that may have promise, but needs the expansion after a couple of plays, I think. Arkham, BSG and Shadows Over Camelot are still in play also and Roboinson Crusoe is on the list to try. A lot of folks are raving about X-Com also, I may get a chance to try that this week.

Remove ads