• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Copperheads: Betrayal and Strange Runes and Burning Dead, oh my (short update 02/12)

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Sorry for the short updates, but I'm trying to squeeze them in between work and some freelance stuff, so its either ignore the storyhour altogether or go for the snippets. Seeing as it gives me something to think about other than rules mechanics, the snippets win :)

Lela

First Post
“No, not yet,” Geoffrey says. “But I’m more concerned by how he’s going to react if we tell him there’s a dangerous monster smelling of brimstone and hellfire out there. He doesn’t really have the ability to act natural at the best of times.”
“Right.”
Now that's too true.

Khynal said:
Not complaining! :cool:
Nor I.

Last edited:

Capellan

Explorer
The game's currently on hiatus (it's difficult to play with one PC in England, one in the US, and everyone else in Australia :) ), so I don't think it is high on arwink's priorities. He's busy enough with the Legacy of the Minotaur and Dark*Matter story hours.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
That more or less covers things, yes. Capellan and Khynal left, a couple of new players were added. The copperheads were fairly high level at the time, with a fair amount of rules-crunch that needed to be absorbed, so we starteda new campaign to keep things fair to the newcomers.

Besides, everyone should find a standard kobold threatening at least once in their adventuring careers.

Updates will be forthcoming in the near future, once I'm on a break from teaching and have the broadband reconnected after moving in Decenmber.

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
Cool, I forgot Khynal was in GB as well. So I'll watch the minotaur thread closer. Every once in a while I visit the clockwork golem and see if anything new is going on.

GW

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Halgo tours the chamber, giving warnings. Yip just nods, his kobold nose already twitching, while Blarth immeditely looks at the corridor and puts his hand to the hilt of his sword.

"Yes, subtle," Halgo mumbles. "Very subtle."

Then he readies a handfull of spell components and settles down on a fold in the rock, pretending to study his spellbook.

He doesn't have to study long.

The creature that lurches into the chamber is wreathed in flames, its skeletal form dripping with boiling magma that sizzles as it hist the soot-stained stone floor. It was, once, probably an orc but some fell magic animates its aging bones and allows it to burn.

Yip snaps into a flurry of movement before it has even stepped into the room. Slippers of spiderclimb dance along the wall, carrying him to a vantage point over the burning skeleton. He slams two paws into its head...

...and lets out a loud hiss of pain as the smell of burning flesh fills the cavern.

"Burns," Yip yells, cringing back. One paw drops to his belt, pulling free a short dagger that he holds at the ready. Blarth and Halgo plunge in, Blarth shattering a burning hand with his sword and Halgo firing a bolt of pure acid into the creatures chest.

Amarin stands blinking, his sholars eyes wide with curiousity.

Then Geoffrey holds the holy symbol of Saint Cuthbert High and calls upon the power of his god. The chamber is filled with blue light for the space of a few seconds, and the burning skeleton crumbles into dust.

Geoffrey blinks a few times.

"Well," he says. "Never had that happen before."

He glances around the chamber. Everyone is still fine, apart from Yip's smoking hands. Amarin is poking the smouldering remnants of the skeleton with his staff, listening intently to the psinoic report of his crystal.

"There's probably more of them," Geoffrey says. "We should keep moving."

Remove ads