Coriolis: The Third Horizon

Mezuka

Hero
Seems like nearly all dislike is for the setting and not the game.

And isn't the religion purely fictional? The closest thing I can think of are the Japanese seven fortune gods, which seem to have a roughly similar concept.
It is a fictional religion. My group is all non-religious we played it like we played any religion (god) in D&D. Clerics pray for spells. Praying once in a while to get a re-roll is not something we find difficult or uncomfortable.

Seems like nearly all dislike is for the setting and not the game.

And isn't the religion purely fictional? The closest thing I can think of are the Japanese seven fortune gods, which seem to have a roughly similar concept.
The entire setting is heavily drawn from Middle Eastern cultures and practices. Not a lot of innovation.

Fictional or not, a setting that pushes religion that hard isn't a comfortable fit on several levels, at least for either of my groups.

Isn't your favorite game a Warhammer Fantasy rip-off that takes place in a Quasi-Medieval/Renaissance Europe?
No, my current favorite system is a modified Zweihander; my favorite settings are historical and Sci-fi.

I have used the Harn setting several times because the level of detail can't be beat, and while it does copy feudalism (which has been used in numerous cultures), it does so in a completely fictional setting. I don't use the religions in Harn because, frankly, I can't make heads or tails of them. And I never include religion in my games, except Fading Suns.

Coriolis feels like some guy read a book on the Ottoman Empire, crudely scraped the serial numbers off, and went with it.

Aldarc

Legend
Isn't your favorite game a Warhammer Fantasy rip-off that takes place in a Quasi-Medieval/Renaissance Europe?
No, my current favorite system is a modified Zweihander; my favorite settings are historical and Sci-fi.

I have used the Harn setting several times because the level of detail can't be beat, and while it does copy feudalism (which has been used in numerous cultures), it does so in a completely fictional setting. I don't use the religions because, frankly, I can't make heads or tails of them. And I never include religion in my games, except Fading Suns.
That's what I said.

ruemere

Adventurer
Tried to run a campaign once, but the ship building rules were too elaborate. People could not agree on what they wanted to play.

The Vaesen HQ is much neater take the concept of building shared asset.

Regarding appropriating culture and religion - we're grownups, we're ok with roleplaying religious practices. Actually, roleplaying gives a lot of motivation to delve deeper into the history, and to prepare the campaign I had spent a lot of time reading on various real life happenings.

I understand that some may have an issue with the above, though, and so I tone down aspects that people in my games that they are uncomfortable with... so my Coriolis game was not intended to follow all of the canon.

That's what I said.
No, you didn't. You're confusing system with setting, and historical periods with government types.

The Zweihander series of rules (to include Flames of Freedom) are not tied to a setting, and in fact have expansions taking it to sci-fi levels. My favorite systems have guns.

My favorite setting, if you read my reply carefully, is not a 'Quasi-Medieval/Renaissance Europe', but in fact historical settings or sci-fi.

I went on to say that I have used Harn, which is not a 'Quasi-Medieval/Renaissance Europe', but in fact early-Feudal period (for the Human nations). And feudalism is common to numerous cultures, not just Europe.

Remove ads