Coriolis: The Third Horizon

Aldarc

Legend
No, you didn't. You're confusing system with setting, and historical periods with government types.

The Zweihander series of rules (to include Flames of Freedom) are not tied to a setting, and in fact have expansions taking it to sci-fi levels. My favorite systems have guns.
Yes, I did. I consider Zweihänder a Warhammer Fantasy ripoff game system that is decidedly Quasi-Medieval/Renaissance Europe in its principle flavor regardless of whether it is officially "settingless" or not.

Yes, I did. I consider Zweihänder a Warhammer Fantasy ripoff game system that is decidedly Quasi-Medieval/Renaissance Europe in its principle flavor regardless of whether it is officially "settingless" or not.
I see.

Well, what you consider Zweihander to be, and what it is, are two radically different things.

And the way I use the Zweihander rules is even further from your mistaken impression.

Aldarc

Legend
Well, what you consider Zweihander to be, and what it is, are two radically different things.
Hypothetically, but not in practice.

I mean here is the official Amazon book description:
Using the Powered By ZWEIHÄNDER d100 game engine, you will create grim characters, write perilous adventures, and build your own low fantasy & dark fantasy campaigns. These rules are a perfect fit for Renaissance and medieval-styled adventures, too. You can also use this book to create your own home-brewed worlds, whether inspired by the works of Andrzej Sapkowski's The Witcher, George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones, Glen Cook's Black Company, Myke Cole's The Armored Saint, Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane, Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastard series, or other "grimdark"-inspired media.

And the core book has this as its cover art:
816AXnSoHOL.jpeg

And the product history of this game is pretty transparent that it was meant to be a successor to Warhammer Fantasy so that it could do what Daniel D. Fox wanted it do.

Aldarc

Legend
Please stop derailing. We should get back to discussing Coriolis.
I think that the core aesthetic of Coriolis - 1001 Nights in Space - is fairly interesting, but I find the execution weak and not too thrilled that one of the big meta-setting questions about the Icons is answered as part of the big adventure. That IMHO doesn't really give the setting much steam for me now that I know it.

Retreater

Legend
I think that the core aesthetic of Coriolis - 1001 Nights in Space - is fairly interesting, but I find the execution weak and not too thrilled that one of the big meta-setting questions about the Icons is answered as part of the big adventure. That IMHO doesn't really give the setting much steam for me now that I know it.
This is why I don't care for game systems with a baked-in campaign setting. World building is one of my favorite parts of being a GM, and it feels unduly limiting to use stuff that might not fit your group's preferences.

Mezuka

Hero
I chose the game for the setting and I'm enjoying it immensely. I only have to concentrate on the adventures and in-between downtime activities.

Free League's method to stay afloat is to not give everything away in a single super detailed setting book, like TSR used to do, for example. Info on the setting, systems, planets and locations are spread out across adventures and campaign books. It's like a large puzzle you have to put together slowly.

(edit typos)

Hypothetically, but not in practice.
Definitely in practice. Yes, War Hammer was the inspiration of the author of Zwei, but it doesn't really translate into actual gameplay unless the GM really works to make the vibe carry over. Zwei/FoF is a system with a large number of options that change its nature, and again, has no actual setting. The system shares the base d100 dice mechanic with WH (and many other games), and the concept of profession-based advancement, but that is about it. How the d100 system is employed in Zwei is completely different from any variant of WH, and the over-arcing threat of Chaos that is the core fixture of WH is absent from Zwei.

You can see it in FoF, basically the cleaned-up rules: take away the art and the WH feel drops away to nothing.

As to 'Quasi-Medieval/Renaissance Europe', that's not sustainable. Yes, there are options for early gunpowder, late-evolution swords and armor, true, but there's also options for blasters, spaceships, and Old West.

My recent campaign was a prime example: no gunpowder, no late period armor, no magic, pure feudal system (inherent in Harn), bound serfdom, and so forth.

Free League's method to stay afloat is to not give everything away in a single super detailed setting book, like TSR used to do, for example. Info on the setting, systems, planets and locations are spread out across adventures and campaign books. It's like a large puzzle you have to put together slowly.

Eff that. Give me the complete package NOW. I'll look at a core book, and if it doesn't have everything I think I need, I'll either dump it or plug my own ideas into the gaps, and not bother buying the additional material. I like material to be neatly assembled and presented. I understand that you might want an atlas book (especially in Sci-fi) to round out the information presented in the core book, but I'm not interested in 'hunt the data' through multiple PDFs.

To each their own, of course.

Remove ads