• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Corsair - d20 'Realistic' Ship Book

ptolemy18

First Post
Hello everyone,

I'm planning my "pseudo-realistic but with a bunch of wizards and sorcerers and lizard men and orcs" pirate adventure, and I've got my copy of "Skull and Bones," "Stormwrack" and a bunch of other supplements and ideas.

However, what I don't have is a bunch of deck plans for d20 ships and pirate ships. (And by deck plans, I mean with 5x5 squares so I can use them in combat situations without having to basically make them from scratch.) I bought the "Seafarer's Handbook" because some reviews said that it had ship maps, but I was disappointed to find that the ship maps were really tiny, were drawn from an isometric (rather than top-down) perspective, and all the ship designs were for The Hexblade/Spellthief's Flying Turtle Spellship and the Dwarven Druid's Whaleship and other typical D&D3.5 "fantasy settings should have no connection to reality whatsoever" designs. Rather than more historically oriented ship designs, which I crave... gimme the baseline of something close to reality, and I can always fantasy 'em out later.

So I was wondering... has anyone bought the "Corsair" PDF from Adamant Entertainment? It sounds very close to what I'm looking for, although I get the impression that it only has one actual 5x5 gridded ship plan, and not multiple ship plans.

Jason

Krilia

First Post
I was going to try to send you a pm to avoid sounding like a commercial, but it appears that either a) you have PMing from users turned off or b) I need more posts to have access.

I have not purchased the supplement in question, but I can direct you to Dragonfire in my sig for a solid ship if you're interested in that instead of a printout. Enjoy.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled posting. Sorry.

Jim Hague

First Post
Corsair is awesome, though caveat emptor - it does only have a limited number of deckplans. The rules are well worth it, though, and I can't recommend the supplement enough.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Krilia said:
I was going to try to send you a pm to avoid sounding like a commercial, but it appears that either a) you have PMing from users turned off or b) I need more posts to have access.

I have not purchased the supplement in question, but I can direct you to Dragonfire in my sig for a solid ship if you're interested in that instead of a printout. Enjoy.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled posting. Sorry.

I saw the wooden ships on your site -- very nice! I may order a frigate for a pirate game soon.

One ship I would really like to see is some basic Age of Piracy-era sloop/sloop-of-war-types. Small ships like these were a very common target of pirate attacks, and one of the most common pirate vessels (making it very, very likely that PCs in a pirate game will encounter one). They're also nice because the ship is small and can (almost) be crewed by the party alone.

I'd imagine that ships like this would be good for a fantasy game as well - If you end up making any ships like these, please let me know!

punkorange

First Post
Hate to be off topic, but I have to say I really like the pirot tarot cards.

As for the ships, I'm going to be running a true20 pirating game soon, and some ship plans would be nice. I may just take a graph pad and start sketching based on google/wikipedia research, shouldn't be too hard to come up with a few designs.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
With a little bit of work and the older versions of Dungeon Crafter (1 or 2) you can create some decent (though not 1" = 5' scale).
With a lot of work, and a pile o' cardstock you can creates something, a bit more memorable.
The model ends up at 28 inches of upper deck (not counting jib.)

normal_07%7E7.jpg

normal_08%7E8.jpg

normal_10%7E7.jpg

It does take a good deal of work, but this is one of my favorite cardstock models of all time. (And I have been building cardstock models since 1969.)

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

Remove ads