• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Corsair - Guide to d20 Ships

Waylander

The Slayer
Has any one bought Adamant Entertainment's supplement Corsair - Guide to d20 Ships?

I'm thinking of running a "pirate" campaign and wondered how well this would help with the inevitable ship-to-ship combat! (As well as sea travel in general . . .)

GVDammerung

First Post
Waylander said:
Has any one bought Adamant Entertainment's supplement Corsair - Guide to d20 Ships?

I'm thinking of running a "pirate" campaign and wondered how well this would help with the inevitable ship-to-ship combat! (As well as sea travel in general . . .)

I have it. I use it. I love it. On my completely ad hoc list of Top 10 d20 products, including those by Wotc, this product makes the cut. It is flavorfully and efficiently written -crammed with lots of information in a relatively compact format but still very much capable of stirring the imagination. I can't say enough positive about this product. The only negative is that I wish there was an expansive followup that added still more ship types.

There is one caveat, however. The rules work best if you allow gunpowder/smokepowder etc. in you game. Cannons, there are different types, are a lot of the fun. You _can_ use these rules without gunpowder, running just boarding actions, or substituting ballista, catapults etc., but you loose some of the best action, IMO.

Of note, the Corsair Guide is in large measure duplicative of the ships rules found in the Skull & Bones RPG, also by Adamant but published by Green Ronin. I own both but you could go with just one or the other if you just want the ship rules. In such case, I'd go with Corsair.

Hope this helps.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I have Corsair. As GVDammerung said, it reprints the sailing and naval combat rules from Skull and Bones, adding in some useful stuff from Adamant's PDF pirate zine Buccaneers & Bokor. I ran a pirate game using Skull and Bones and it was great fun -- see my sig for story hour details.

Cheers

Richard

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads