CoS Warlock Spell Choice

laughinggas

First Post
In the CoS campaign I am in, we have just reached lvl 5. The party consists of a Moon Druid, Light Cleric, Conquest Paladin, Gunslinger Fighter, and Pact of Chain Warlock (me).

Cantrips:
Eldritch blast
Minor Illusion
Friends
Shocking grasp (from Spell Sniper)

Lvl 1:
Hex
Shield

Lvl 2:
Hold Person
Misty Step
Suggestion

Invocations:
Agonizing blast
Mask of many Faces
Voice of the Chain Master (I have an Imp)

Feats:
Spell Sniper (Vuman)
Inspiring Leader (lvl 4)
I plan on either +2 Cha or Warcaster/resilient con at lvl 8

Charisma is at 18

So the question is what lvl 3 spells to learn? I plan on forgetting shield and the following list are the ones I am considering:

Blink (I am unsure if this works in Barovia)
Counterspell (concerned about limited slots but I am the only one)
Elemental Weapon (for our fighter's gun)
Enemies Abound
Hunger of Hadar (Major Creep Factor)
Hypnotic Pattern (Concerned about doubling down on wis save debuffs)
Summon Lesser Demon (More of a cast and then flee battle type of spell but seems fun)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My DM has implemented a modified spell slot progression. At lvl 6, I will have 3 slots and at lvl 9 or 10 I will have 4.

laughinggas

First Post
Is Shield a Warlock spell? I don't see it listed as one.

What kilpatds said, it is on the Hexblade expanded list. Also, I am thinking about dropping it for access to 2 level 3 spells since I am happy with my level 2 picks thus far. Any input on how to rate the level 3 spells listed against each other or situations where they would be useful (if not obvious) would be greatly appreciated.

Gavin O.

First Post
Blink Is a solid defensive spell (50% chance to be invincible each turn) that doesn't require your concentration, but its most useful if you get caught in melee and you have Misty Step for that already. It's good, but with your very limited spell slots I think its a luxury you can't afford.
Counterspell If your DM likes to use spellcasters I could see taking this, especially since you're the only one who can use it, and the party will thank you if you save the from a Fireball or a Hold Person. If you're not fighting spellcasters regularly, this isn't worth taking.
Elemental Weapon This is worth taking if your Fighter doesn't already have a magic weapon that gives them +1 to hit, and isn't worth it if they do.
Enemies Abound Requires your concentration and gives the target another save whenever they take damage. In the situations where this spell would be the best (the enemies are all grouped together), you'd have more success with Hypnotic Pattern, which hits all enemies and only offers them one save.
Hunger of Hadar Can do great damage if you have a way to keep the enemies inside the damaging zone, but that's a big if. It also doesn't scale at all. If your Druid has Entangle, maybe you could take this and convince them to help you by setting an Entangle in the Hunger of Hadar zone to keep the enemies in it.
Hypnotic Pattern Is extremely good, and I think you should take it even though you're doubling down on wisdom safe debuffs. One save for ten rounds of AOE disable is very strong.
Summon Lesser Demon The effectiveness of a spell like this is mostly up to your DM. I'm not sure about this one.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Summon Lesser Demon (More of a cast and then flee battle type of spell but seems fun)
As written, this spell requires the DM to "randomly" pick what you get. You have no control over what is summoned.

For a more Barovia flavor, ask your DM if you can use a variant where you summon 'creatures of the night' -type animals rather than demons. The two of you can work together to decide what is available.
(A pack of quote wolves unquote would be flavorful - even if mechanically they are the Mastiff stats.)

laughinggas

First Post
The idea for reflavoring/texturing summon lesser demon is nice but I have a feeling my DM would say no. He is trying to stick to everything by the book (except warlock spell slot progression because he played a lvl 10 warlock once and felt limited).

At lvl 6 I will have 3 slots and by lvl 10 I will have 4 slots I believe (unless he decides it is too much).

As far as the point about counterspell, My DM is running the curse of strahd module by the book. The only caster fight we have had was the hag fight at the bone grinder. We are starting to point towards heading to the Amber Temple soon it seems like and I do not know what could be there.

laughinggas

First Post
Would it be worth it to take hypnotic pattern for AoE disable and then switch shield for shatter?

Our light cleric already has fireball so I thought it may not be worth it.

Also, any other lvl 3 spells worth taking from a utility stand point? I think eventually I may want magic circle to block out undead but for now it is impractical. Fly could have uses I guess but mostly I see my imp as flying to do a lot.

Gavin O.

First Post
Fly could have uses I guess but mostly I see my imp as flying to do a lot.

The problem with running Fly on a Warlock is that it's a concentration spell, and you fall if your concentration breaks. If you had maxed Con and Con save proficiency, I could see taking it, but since you don't, and since nobody in your party has access to Feather Fall to save you if you fall, I don't think it's worth it.

laughinggas

First Post
The problem with running Fly on a Warlock is that it's a concentration spell, and you fall if your concentration breaks. If you had maxed Con and Con save proficiency, I could see taking it, but since you don't, and since nobody in your party has access to Feather Fall to save you if you fall, I don't think it's worth it.

Yeah, good point. Instead of fly, then what would be a decent spell? Or am I stuck until later levels for better options?

Also, am I correct in thinking Hold Person will increase damage for the party against a small group of bad guys, where as Hypnotic Pattern will help control a large group of weaker bad guys?

Until our Gunslinger gets a magic gun (highly unlikely) or another PC can get magic weapon (besides the cleric who should be using spirit guardians), I guess I am better off casting elemental weapon instead of hex to increase party damage unless one of the prior situations present themselves where hypnotic Pattern or Hold Person would be better?

Remove ads