Cosmic Entities of the Transitive Planes

Roman

First Post
I wish to thank everyone for answering. So the answer seems to be that there are no official entities of that sort, but there are powerful beings in these realms that take on some of the function. I guess I will have to create my own entities.

The reason I asked this question was two-fold. I am interested in incorporating such entities into my own campaign, but the reason I thought of it in the first place was that the Cosmic Mage (Destrel Schwarzschaf) I play in a PbP campaign - The Gatemaster (http://www.dndonlinegames.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=969&start=230 [BTW: It is an excellent PbP site if any of you wish to run or play in PbP games]) needed to contact the 'Lord of [the Plane of] Shadow' to learn some very difficult to obtain secret lore that very much ties in with 'shadow'. The high-level game is begins in a homebrew world called Avalon, but uses the official/Planescape D&D cosmology and even links to other planes. Anyway, I 'fudged' it (with DM approval, of course) and 'created' Hykisch - the Emperor of Shadow..., but it would have been nice to have had something official.

Now, back to my own campaign... I will use Hykisch there too, but I have little (no) experience creating stats for such cosmic entities. Has anybody created (or is currently working on) something of the sort that I could 'plagiarize' for stats?

Wycen

Explorer
Well, using various bits from various sources, here are a few extras.

In 2E Planescape the ethereal had many demi-planes. For example Ravenloft is in the demi plane of Dread. Another plane, the demi-plane of Imprisonment is rumored to imprison really evil things like Tharizdun. Something else related is the Living Demi-plane, which I think was called Neth. Basically it became conscious and started sprouting Nethlings, to explore and learn more. But this of course doesn't speak for the whole ethereal.

Also going back to 1E, the plane of Shadow probably has some powerful beings, those who first taught mortals how to become shades. This can be further noted that in the Forgotten Realms, Netherese wizards moved an entire city and everyone into the shadow realm, only now emerging after who knows how long. These wizards who pulled that off are probably pretty powerful.

Also, Gary Gygax's Gord novels, (no need to mention what is Canon, canon, pre-boot canon, post Sargeant canon, etc.) had a variety of super powerful, possibly divine beings who probably had something to do with shadows and other realms.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Here are a couple from old WotC/D&D products. Note that most of these were in the 2E listings. Since 3E/3.5E has changed things around, some of these may not hold up anymore.

Queen Vlaakith CLVII, as has been noted, also lives in the githyanki capital city of Tu'narath on the Astral Plane. (See Dungeon issue #100.)

The Guardian of Dead Gods (formerly known as Anubis) resides on the Astral as well. (See Guide to the Astral Plane, a 2E Planescape supplement.)

Lascer, the Lost Scion, cannot leave the Astral Plane, much as he wishes to (see Dragon #297).

Blithen, a three-headed gem dragon, lives on the Astral Plane after being exiled by Sardior, the dragon god he once served. (See http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20040123d)

An-Ur, Tiamat's first child, is a huge, powerful dragon dwelling in the Deep Ethereal, eating raw ether matter. When it's hunger flares, it eats entire demi-planes. (See Dragon #260.)

Neth, the Demi-plane That Lives, resides somewhere in the Deep Ethereal. (See Guide to the Ethereal Plane, a 2E Planescape supplement.)

The Shadow Fiend Gwydion (not one of the creatures of the same name from the Book of Vile Darkness, Gwydion is something altogether different, and much more powerful) resides halfway between the Plane of Shadow, and the Demi-plane of Ravenloft, caught between the two in a massive one-way gate designed to lead into Ravenloft. How much of his essence remains on the Plane of Shadow is unknown. (See Guide to the Ethereal Plane, a 2E Planescape supplement, and The Shadow Rift, a 2E Ravenloft supplement.)

The Guide to the Ethereal Plane mentions a specific rakshasa on the Plane of Shadow. Sadly, I can't remember his name, and I don't recall knowing why he got mentioned, but he must be somewhat significant at least.

Last edited:

Roman

First Post
I should have mentioned that I was looking specifically for non-deity entities. Something along the lines of Imix for the elemental plane of fire or Demogorgon for the Abyss. Nonetheless, the above is still interesting info (and indeed does contain some non-deific entities).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Roman said:
I should have mentioned that I was looking specifically for non-deity entities. Something along the lines of Imix for the elemental plane of fire or Demogorgon for the Abyss. Nonetheless, the above is still interesting info (and indeed does contain some non-deific entities).

That's cool. I'll just go back and edit out the entries for Celestian, the Krynnish gods of magic, and Mask and Shar. The rest are all non-divine creatures (the Guardian of Dead Gods isn't a god itself...in fact, no one's sure what it is).

Also, added another cosmic entity that lives on the Astral Plane that I forgot first time around.

Last edited:

Roman

First Post
Alzrius said:
That's cool. I'll just go back and edit out the entries for Celestian, the Krynnish gods of magic, and Mask and Shar. The rest are all non-divine creatures (the Guardian of Dead Gods isn't a god itself...in fact, no one's sure what it is).

Also, added another cosmic entity that lives on the Astral Plane that I forgot first time around.

Ahh, no need for editing them out at all - I am a fan of Planescape (even though I have little experience with it), so the info is still interesting!

Remove ads