• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cost for an elephant

3d6

Explorer
Is there any mention in the core rules of the cost of an elephant? If not, what price would seem to be reasonable?

I can't think of any references to it, but there's a lot of ways you could go about doing it.

If you go by carrying capacity, an elephant can cary about 6 times as much as a horse (this is based on the carrying capacity table and a Str of 28 for the elephant and 15 heavy horse). Logically, you could then price the elephant at 6 times the horse, which gives 1200 gp.

If you're in a setting where elephants are common (african, indian), this could be much lower. If you're in a setting where elephants are pretty rare, like a normal D+D setting, I'd raise it a bit, probably to 2400.

The purpose for the elephant might also play a big part in the cost. A war horse that's trained to not spook at loud noises or panic from pain costs more than a regular horse. From the little I know about elephants, they are much more skiddish, tend to freak out at the first time they're injured, and generally cause more trouble than they're worth in a battle (this is just a little tidbit from the little I know of Alexander the Great's attempts to use them in battle). Training an elephant for battle purposes would probably bump the cost up even higher.

Taking all of this into acount, I'd probably charge somewhere around 5000 gold for a war trained elephant in a normal D+D setting.

Last edited:

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I think 5000 gp is about right.

Just don't forget about food and upkeep. Remember, the "gift" of a white elephant is actually a means of costing the recipient huge amounts of money. Ballpark, 250 gp per month, food and board, would be a good place to start.

Romnipotent

First Post
I might be crazy, but in Monster Manual 2 theres a WARBEAST template you can add to any animal for using it as a mount. Then not that you can inflate the price. I have also seen documents for riding elephants and war elephants, but I cannot recall where.

A Warbeast Elephant will set you back 12*75gp +100gp
1000gp by the layout in the monster manual, however I find the cost to be quite low, and an exotic mount addition kind of balances it out
1500gp for a riding elephant
2500gp for a war trained one
and ranks in handle animal are a must as well with these things

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Don't forget all the china the elephant will break. And for the Pantheon's sake, make sure you don't have any problems with mice or rats ! ;-)

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Oriental Adventures prices work elephants at 2,000 gp, and war elephants at 4,000 gp.

While we're at it, a howdah with capacity for 4 riders will cost you 200 gp.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Dr_Rictus said:
Oriental Adventures prices work elephants at 2,000 gp, and war elephants at 4,000 gp.
Of course, in the Orient elephants are more common, are they not? (I'm thinking Tibet and India.) In a European setting, I'd charge more.

Roman

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
Of course, in the Orient elephants are more common, are they not? (I'm thinking Tibet and India.) In a European setting, I'd charge more.

Although there are elephants in India, I have never heard of any neither Tibet nor in China or Japan, so...

RonYon

First Post
Dead or Alive!

As a necromancer, what I want to know is how much for a dead elephant?
Or a dead horse for that matter! Other than charging the price of meat per pound, I have not come up with anything...

Remove ads