• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CotSQ] Sneaky way to beat the module!

Iron_Chef

First Post
In City of the Spider Queen, we just killed three of the main villain's family (her twin neices and Zedarr the blackguard). Our wizard just got the simulacrum spell. We could create simulacrums of all three of them, creating a 7th level version of Zedarr and two 5th level clerics from the neices. I bet they'd know all kinds of secrets, like passwords, troop strengths, what needs to be done to ruin the main villain's plans, how to get us inside Castle Maerimydra, etc. :)

Making a simulacrum of Kurgoth Hellspawn would be a great way to seize control of Maerimydra, or at least Kurgoth's army. :)

Anyone have any advice or opinions on using this tactic to more readily beat the module? Anyone ever have this happen in their campaign, with a wizard making copies of the villain's henchmen and using the copies to gain an unprecedented advantage over the villain? Any advice on this sneaky tactic appreciated, as this strategy will factor into my campaign even after CotSQ concludes!!!

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
I think that changing passwords, etc immediately upon learning of the loss of a henchmen is just plain smart in a world like D&D - there's too many ways the information can be found out. A detect thoughts before they died, speak with dead, simulacrum...

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Additionally, doesn't the adventure point out that Irae will periodically scry the party? She'd probably know what was going on and take the appropriate measures to stop it.

Like most drow, she may be evil but she ain't stupid. ;)

Iron_Chef

First Post
DM said she hadn't scried us yet. Figured levels because I knew their CR because DM had me figure out XP for him so he could play his stupid Gameboy, lol.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Killing someone in D&D is by far the best way to interrogate them.

Speak with dead compels truth (even if it can be veiled somewhat, it's not veiled with the intelligence of the original subject...)

BarkTree

First Post
Iron_Chef said:
DM said she hadn't scried us yet.

Either your DM has Int 1 for revealing something like this to a player or he has 23 ranks in Bluff and you failed your Sense Motive check.

Figured levels because I knew their CR because DM had me figure out XP for him so he could play his stupid Gameboy, lol.

No, sorry, he really has Int 1.

Iron_Chef

First Post
First, he said she scried us, then I complained, "you didn't give us a Scry check!" so he changed his story to "she hasn't scried you yet because she thought her underlings could handle you, when they fail to report in, she'll get around to scrying you." He also handed me the module so I could write down all their treasure while he played Gameboy.

BarkTree

First Post
Iron_Chef said:
First, he said she scried us, then I complained, "you didn't give us a Scry check!" so he changed his story to "she hasn't scried you yet because she thought her underlings could handle you, when they fail to report in, she'll get around to scrying you." He also handed me the module so I could write down all their treasure while he played Gameboy.

My sympathies, I hope you can find a proper DM soon. :p

Remove ads