D&D 5E Could the Revised/Variant Ranger be released by the end of the year?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The stuff I've heard from Jeremy Crawford as he's talked about it makes it sound like they actually have re-done the Revised Ranger again. Rather than completely change features and the levels at which the Ranger gains said features... their new plan is to use the PHB Ranger and then create "alternate class features" with which you can swap out from the PHB on a case by case basis depending on what you like as a player. And I think this includes the various subclasses as well... that they'll create alternate subclass features at each of the levels, so that you as a player can decide for yourself "You know, I don't like the PHB features of the Beastmaster, I think I'm going to swap in these alternate Beastmaster class features instead."

As a result of this... it also sounds like another wave of playtesting for this new concept of revising the Ranger is happening after the first of the year (along with new Mystic and Artificer playtests.)

akr71

Hero
Of course it could be released. Will it though? I have no idea - we have entered the realm of pure speculation.

Li Shenron

Legend
Could yes, would not.

They already mentioned a new idea for it (based on "alternate class features") that they want to first show for feedback before making it official. At best, it could end up being the December UA article.

lkj

Hero
Crawford talked about this at some length in a recent dragon talk thing he did with Tito on Twitch (I presume it'll eventually show up in their podcast stream). He didn't give any timelines but it gels with what DEFCON 1 says. An interesting addition was that he said that the part of the ranger that people are unhappy with is generally the Beastmaster. And then he made a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' point, basically, about the other ranger options. Made me wonder whether they are considering pulling back on their adjustments to the Hunter subclass. Hope not. I liked those.

AD

Short answer, no.

Longer answer, Jeremy Crawford said earlier this year that we will not see an update to the Ranger until after we see the updated playtests of the Mystic and Artificer. And those are probably still another month or two away, as he only said they would be updated this Winter.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Like the spoon, there is no warlord.

Srsly. They're not making a warlord. You can buy one of the dozen or so third party versions of that class if you need it in your game.

I was making a chicken and the egg joke. Poorly I suppose. Personally, I think my posting history would give the impression I couldn't care less if there is a warlord class or not, because I can already do what I want via other options as you note.

Remove ads