D&D 5E Could the Revised/Variant Ranger be released by the end of the year?

lkj

Hero
Short answer, no.

Longer answer, Jeremy Crawford said earlier this year that we will not see an update to the Ranger until after we see the updated playtests of the Mystic and Artificer. And those are probably still another month or two away, as he only said they would be updated this Winter.

Huh. I thought it was the reverse of that. We'd see another playtest of the ranger before we'd see the Mystic or Artificer. Could be I'm remembering wrong.

AD

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Short answer, no.

Longer answer, Jeremy Crawford said earlier this year that we will not see an update to the Ranger until after we see the updated playtests of the Mystic and Artificer. And those are probably still another month or two away, as he only said they would be updated this Winter.

Huh. I thought it was the reverse of that. We'd see another playtest of the ranger before we'd see the Mystic or Artificer. Could be I'm remembering wrong.

AD

Could someone look that up? It may be important for my campaign...

The PHB ranger is a powerful class. A good selection of spells helps you solve most problems.
Yes, he is a bit too limited in his spell choises and his subclass features are more problematic than the base class.

Take the monster hunter from xanathar's guide and you have a perfectly viable ranger.
So what could you do yourself:
- favoured enemy grants you hunter's mark as a spell on 2nd level that you can cast without spell slots on favoured enemies (shadow sorcerer darkness also comes with a short delay)
- nature sense
automatically cast's hunter's mark on one creature you sense.
So if you have a sense what you are searching for, you can make good use of that ability.
- favoured terrain:
Quite ok actually since it grants you expertise on perception and survival in your favoured terrain.
There is a problem of general knowledge checks are bad since often you don't have proficiency in nature.
So I would grant you at least half proficiency rounded up on knowledge checks.
And you would be able to use downtime to adapt to a new terrain.

Hunter would have the following modification:

Level 11 whirlwind attack:
You use the attack action to...

CapnZapp

Legend
I can actually sympathize with the desire to avoid the clusterfrack that is two parallel classes both called "Ranger".

As long as they end up with a Beastmaster pet that acts independently and has real survivability I'm cool with it.

Now the real issue. Why are everybody excusing how long this is taking?

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Voi_D_ragon

Explorer
I just hope they removed "Favored" things, or at least make them adaptable to different scenarios (a homebrew I saw comes in mind, where you could switch your favored terrain after passing one week in a different terrain type) something similar could be done favored enemy maybe, I dunno, by letting a player "prepare" their favored enemy by communing with nature and innately gaining knowledge about them over a long rest or something (just giving an idea of how I would change it to not be so one-directional and situationally useless) But honestly I just hope they remove it and replace it with something more versatile and overall better.

I really like the beastmaster from the revised ranger, I hope they keep as much of that as they can.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Who comes first? Revised ranger, or warlord?
zoidberg.jpg

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Short answer, no.

Thank you. I really like the notion of the alchemist, but I didn't like the execution much, and in my campaign the PCs are going to a long, dangerous dungeons where tag-along NPCs are the only easily plausible source of replacement characters, and one of them I was going to make into an alchemist, so having the revised version come out soon would have been good for me but... ah well.

Remove ads