Could the "Warcraft" movie completely over-shadow the "D&D" movie?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Given that there's also no chance it will be a good movie, this sets the stage for an even weaker stomach for any D&D offering.

It seems to me that "not be seen as a WoW movie" is a not-terribly-difficult marketing problem. I strongly expect the public will see Warcraft as less a "generic fantasy movie" and more a "CG movie", such that differentiation won't be difficult.

More difficult will be differentiating from LotR - and you might do that by having no orcs to speak of, and settings that don't look like New Zealand. :)

MechaPilot

Explorer
Okay, Batman/Superman and "Captain America: Civil War", then - in both cases you've got the idealized American hero up against a genius billionaire philanthropist in a tech-heavy suit.

It's funny that you say it that way, because I've always seen Batman as more of an idealized American hero than Superman. Sure, Supes had the whole "truth, justice, and the American way" thing, but Batman has always been self-made (not in the wealth sense, but in the hero sense). Superman just inherited his power, but Batman had to work hard for many years to become a master detective, a master of disguise, a master of stealth, and a master martial artist. Through hard work and determination he became a man who could stand among and against gods. That sounds very much like an American ideal to me.

Ryujin

Legend
It's funny that you say it that way, because I've always seen Batman as more of an idealized American hero than Superman. Sure, Supes had the whole "truth, justice, and the American way" thing, but Batman has always been self-made (not in the wealth sense, but in the hero sense). Superman just inherited his power, but Batman had to work hard for many years to become a master detective, a master of disguise, a master of stealth, and a master martial artist. Through hard work and determination he became a man who could stand among and against gods. That sounds very much like an American ideal to me.

Two sides of the same coin. Superman is the idea of "truth, justice, and the American way." He's the unobtainable goal to strive for. Batman represents one 'ordinary' man making a difference; also a very American ideal.

was

Adventurer
I don't rent, but purchase my movies on DVD.

I still support the movie industry that way, but not the theaters.

Cost is cheaper, and I get to watch it as often as I want, when I want, etc.

So any WoW movie will be added to my DVD movie collection.

...You might want to try renting first to see if the movie is worth buying for your collection. It has saved me a lot of money on movies I thought would be great when watching the previews.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I go to theaters, but I avoid the concession stand entirely. I also go as early in the morning as possible so I can get the matinee price and I can avoid children and crowds as much as possible. I never go to see a movie more than once though. If I really like it, I will buy it the day it comes out on DVD so I can watch it as much as I want.

MechaPilot

Explorer
With there no longer being any type of BlockBuster Video store anymore, the option of renting is ZERO were I live.

I just wait a few months after the movies release, and it is out on DVD. Then wait a few more months for it to go on sale for under $15.00

They don't have the redbox machines where you live?

Also, couldn't you rent it on netflix first? I don't have netflix, so I don't know, but it seems like you could (if you have netflix).

Remove ads