Could the "Warcraft" movie completely over-shadow the "D&D" movie?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Apparently the World of Warcraft movie will be out before the D&D movie so I am speculating that the Warcraft movie will just over-shadow the D&D one. Warcraft is a juggernaut to the point where the D&D could become the "Warcraft rip-off" even though D&D obviously came first.
Like no one wanted to see a Star Trek movie after Star Wars came out?

I'm not sure this is a real problem.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
The D&D movie would be years after the Warcraft movie.

I don't think the Warcraft movie will be seen as derivative of The Lord of the Rings. Warcraft is a much different approach to the genre. And, while very much lesser as literature, I would say that Warcraft is more nuanced. LOTR villains are very thin, and I'm surprised at how well the whole "rule by divine inheritance" theme flies anymore.

For the D&D movie, what the put in the movie, and how well it is made, will make a huge difference. I guess folks are predicting use of Forgotten Realms as the setting.

I'm rather undecided about what actually deserves to be in a D&D movie. The brand covers such a huge scope.

Thx!

TomB

Joker

First Post
Personally, I think the D&D brand is better served with a series a la Twilight Zone. i.e. Every episode is more or less unrelated to the other ones but in the same universe. That way you can explore the Forgotten Realms thoroughly, showing all the various tropes better than you could in a two hour flick.

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm quite sure WoW movies will overshadow D&D movies. D&D itself doesn't mean much, unless you're looking at a particular setting for it. Otherwise it would be just like a movie about 'Monopoly' or 'Battleship', i.e. not really sharing anything with its source.

Considering that FR is the most popular setting for D&D is FR, it's almost a given that it's going to be used as the setting for a movie. Unfortunately, it's also the most vanilla, generic, and derivative of all settings.
Personally, I feel if D&D wanted to make an impact and leave a mark, they'd have to choose a setting that is distinctive, and exclusive to D&D, e.g. Eberron or maybe Planescape. Anything else will be considered a weak rip-off of established Fantasy movies/series.
Of course, they'd never get the funding for such an undertaking because there's a very real risk the chosen, exotic setting won't appeal to the masses.

Ryujin

Legend
I'm quite sure WoW movies will overshadow D&D movies. D&D itself doesn't mean much, unless you're looking at a particular setting for it. Otherwise it would be just like a movie about 'Monopoly' or 'Battleship', i.e. not really sharing anything with its source.

Considering that FR is the most popular setting for D&D is FR, it's almost a given that it's going to be used as the setting for a movie. Unfortunately, it's also the most vanilla, generic, and derivative of all settings.
Personally, I feel if D&D wanted to make an impact and leave a mark, they'd have to choose a setting that is distinctive, and exclusive to D&D, e.g. Eberron or maybe Planescape. Anything else will be considered a weak rip-off of established Fantasy movies/series.
Of course, they'd never get the funding for such an undertaking because there's a very real risk the chosen, exotic setting won't appeal to the masses.

A Planescape or Spelljammer movie could be done almost completely in green screen, which could actually serve to greatly reduce costs.

Remove ads