Could Trance be a ritual instead of a racial.

Back on topic how hould you formulate sense/examin aura... as a practice

Hmmmmm, well, lets see...

Sense Aura
You extend your senses in an attempt to sense the strength and nature of the auras of those around you.

Type: Level 5 practice
Association: Arcana
Components: 1 Vitality Point
Time: 2 minutes
Key Skill: Nature
For the next 10 minutes you can sense the auras of all creatures within 5 squares. Match the check result against a DV of the level of each target creature and determine success vs each one independently.

Complete Success: You know the level of the creature and its keywords.
Success: You know the tier of the creature, its race, and origin.
Failure: Your reading reveals nothing.
Critical Failure: The GM may suggest some inaccurate information.

Note that there may be some types of ward against this sort of practice. Various factors may make the DV up to 5 levels more difficult, such as if the creature is shapechanged, is practicing some form of ward or concealment, etc. Unusual auras may produce odd or contradictory results, such as a person cursed with lycanthropy.

hehe, I put this in HoML's ritual/practice format, but you get the idea.

in this case many combatants styles need incorporate only 2 of those and he could shuffle between those two only like the hulk does wild/instinctive moves or direct moves that is his combat style and those 2 provide differing real tactical benefits depending on his adversaries choices.

And that will stand just fine up against someone using all 5 possible ones. They are truly optional

One of those methods is deceptive (like using bluff)

Yeah. Well, in HoML you still have 2 at-wills, which lends itself to 2 possible modes of play. I am less wedded to things like at-wills being 100% a level 1 initial character selection than 4e is though. I mean, fine, you shouldn't introduce BETTER ones later, but you COULD introduce more limited ones that do different things, which might be a good thing.

Beyond that, 'operational' choice vs 'tactical' choice is my mantra. That well was kinda poisoned by higher levels of D&D being utterly dominated by casters in this arena, but this is why we have things like practices...

Here's another one you can easily adapt into a practice.

Truth Tell
You create a magical charm which makes lying difficult.
Type
Level 1 Ritual
Association
Spirit
Components
10gp/level worth of incense, a few bits of something from the target, a small bag, and some string.
Time
10 minutes
Key Skill
Religion
You create a charm for a specific individual. When the individual possesses the charm it will be difficult for them to lie successfully. The charm's effect will last for 1 day/level of the ritual. Whenever the target individual attempts use the Bluff skill for any purpose, they will suffer disadvantage on any check, or others will gain advantage whenever the prevarication comes into play.

Like this!

Golden Ear
By extreme concentration you can detect falsehood with almost supernatural accuracy.
Type
Level 1 Practice
Association
Insight
Components
1 Vitality Point.
Time
1 minute
Key Skill
Insight
For the next hour you gain advantage on any checks opposing a Bluff or prevarication.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Here's another one you can easily adapt into a practice.

Truth Tell
You create a magical charm which makes lying difficult.
Type
Level 1 Ritual
Association
Spirit
Components
10gp/level worth of incense, a few bits of something from the target, a small bag, and some string.
Time
10 minutes
Key Skill
Religion
You create a charm for a specific individual. When the individual possesses the charm it will be difficult for them to lie successfully. The charm's effect will last for 1 day/level of the ritual. Whenever the target individual attempts use the Bluff skill for any purpose, they will suffer disadvantage on any check, or others will gain advantage whenever the prevarication comes into play.
Definitely interesting but perhaps something like the following might be more in keeping with the truth tell..
What if one implemented blood binding or blood oath on the subject to force truthfulness it might even have your tongue swelling up or perhaps they start stuttering (will save prevents stutter perhaps), something else unpleasant as the repercussion ... not everything needs to be sicken and die (and that potential effect is only viable if your subject is already bloodied or a minion).

ie yes normal intimidation can influence someone to tell the truth but when its a blood demand or blood bound oath... it has real bite

Last edited:

Definitely interesting but perhaps something like the following might be more in keeping with the truth tell..
What if one implemented blood binding or blood oath on the subject to force truthfulness it might even have your tongue swelling up or perhaps they start stuttering (will save prevents stutter perhaps), something else unpleasant as the repercussion ... not everything needs to be sicken and die (and that potential effect is only viable if your subject is already bloodied or a minion).

ie yes normal intimidation can influence someone to tell the truth but when its a blood demand or blood bound oath... it has real bite

Sure, though I would consider that a separate thing, and probably a bit higher level.

Oh, and you can assume it is stolen...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Sure, though I would consider that a separate thing, and probably a bit higher level.

Oh, and you can assume it is stolen...

At some level its a use case of the Blood Demand / Oath where you demand they swear to answer truthfully... the affliction occurs if they fail to fulfill that task - I had made that arbitrarily as level 4...,

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...&p=7028227&highlight=Blood+Demand#post7028227

What task they must fullfill for the blood demand is pretty damn fliexible, but I think this demonstrates how interesting afflictions can give something more flavor oomph

Swearing an oath in a medieval world was serious business.... an oath of truthfulness might be a common enough subset of the task based oath worthy of breaking out into a separate practice, Truth Binding.

I certainly hope to inspire.

Last edited:

At some level its a use case of the Blood Demand / Oath where you demand they swear to answer truthfully... the affliction occurs if they fail to fulfill that task - I had made that arbitrarily as level 4...,

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...&p=7028227&highlight=Blood+Demand#post7028227

What task they must fullfill for the blood demand is pretty damn fliexible, but I think this demonstrates how interesting afflictions can give something more flavor oomph

Swearing an oath in a medieval world was serious business.... an oath of truthfulness might be a common enough subset of the task based oath worthy of breaking out into a separate practice, Truth Binding.

I certainly hope to inspire.

Yeah, I am still working on the affliction aspect, but that's definitely the way to go with it. I'm OK with just having them be different rituals, though honestly I'm starting to think that the whole distinction of 'practice' vs 'ritual' becomes pretty arbitrary when you talk about this sort of thing.

Remove ads