Council of the Wyrms

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
full_moon_draw said:
The only comment that I'd make at this stage is Re: Psionic Invisibility (which I'll be the 1st to admit is a personal bug-a-boo of mine). The GD Project gives Dragons Spell Invisibility! Psionic Invisibility (for most of it's career - since AD&D PHB) has had a different effect to Spell Inivisibility. I tend to want to preserve the original psionic effect as it's more limited than the spell effect. Does that make any sense & what do you think?
Thats perfect. I'm a real big fan of 1st Edition psionics myself. :cool:

full_moon_draw

First Post
Greetings Oh Hearald of Saridor,

Just finished going over the Gem Dragon Project as part of my Council of the Wyrms (COW) conversion update

Just a few points :)

1. I don't like the re-introduction of spell-like invisibility as psionic-invisibility (I know - it's my personal "bug a boo" & no one else cares! but I do have to keep on) - only in the D&D3.0 psionics handbook do the two abilities have the same capability! Other than that, psionic invisibility has always been "different" I know - this is a personal thing & no doubt we'll agree to disagree. But I think that the duergar update was a mistake that we shouldn't perpetuate!

2. The web update of MM2 seems to indicate that all Gem Dragons have Planar Travel (no where does it say how often they can use it) & that it's now a Psionic[Sp] ability. The Gem Dragon project doesn't seem to cover this.

3. Gem Dragons are given attack & defence modes (now powers) for free. Though the rules don't indicate at what point these abilities are granted, I've always ruled that they are granted when the Dragon acquires a manifester level. The Gem Dragon project doesn't seem to cover this point either.

4. Just an observation really (please don't shoot me) but I kind of felt that virtual power point system seems a little over complicated (may be it's just me being a tad slow or some such?)

I'd have gone with something along the lines of:

If a Dragon has a psi-like ability & no power point reserve (i.e. no actual Psion level) then he may manifest that ability un-augmented a given number of times per day as indicated in the write up. However if the Dragon has a power point reserve (i.e. has levels of Psion) he may augment that ability as applicable within the limits of his power point reserve & manifester level.

It is also worth noting that a Dragon's psi-like abilities are given a manifester level. If that Manifester level is higher than his actual level in the Psion class, he may ONLY use that higher level for the manifestation of psionic-like abilities NOT powers gains through levels of Psion.

No doubt I've missed the point in a couple of cases - may be you can put me straight? In any case, I did promise a comment or obseration or two & here they are.

Cheers - FMD

PS - Re: your comment over on ENWORLD about the new relative strangth of the Amythyst & the Topaz. You are of course spot on - they are a LOT closer in termsof real power! I've gone back as far as Dragon 36 where the Gem Dragons originally appeared & the Topaz has ALWAYS been significantly weaker than the Amythyst (who after all is supposed to be the Gold/Red of the Gem Dragon brand) - I can't imagine why this decision was taken in conversion! But for the purposes of my COW conversion - I'm going to have to address it! :confused:

PPS - Obviously I don't apply my comments to the Obsidien or Ectoplasmic Dragon - they are outside the scope of any expertise that I might claim to possess! Incidentally though - whilse searching the Dragon archive - I came across the "original" obsidien Dragon, it wasn't a psionic or gem dragon at all!! ;)

RavinRay

Explorer
full_moon_draw said:
Obviously I don't apply my comments to the Obsidien or Ectoplasmic Dragon - they are outside the scope of any expertise that I might claim to possess! Incidentally though - whilse searching the Dragon archive - I came across the "original" obsidien Dragon, it wasn't a psionic or gem dragon at all!! ;)
Yeah, I noticed that in 3e monsters are not necessarily the same as the 2e monsters of the same name. The Spelljamming 2e radiant dragon is not the same as the extraplanar 3e radiant dragon of Celestia, for example.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
heh - here's a good one.

we wanted to pitch a conversion of the SJ radiant dragon to Dragon magazine. guess what we called it? :)

the celestial dragon. :D

(of course, sad to say, that one was rejected.)

RavinRay

Explorer
Speaking of... I've seen conversions of those radiant and stellar dragons, and wondered if they wouldn't be better off as epic dragons, and start as Huge as wyrmlings and end up Colossal Plus? The sun and moon dragons can be standard, of course.

full_moon_draw

First Post
Yeah - must admit that I'd like to see the radient & steller dragons done as epic dragons as well - how about it Boz?

sorry I haven't got the revised conversion done yet! I'm still umm-ing about a couple of the finer points! Hope to have it done soon as my mind settles on what to do!

Cheers - FMD

RavinRay

Explorer
Have you got a copy of Dragon Magic? I'd consider it a source of material for the humanoid vassals of the CoW dragons. In fact, in the gem dragons' favor, a few psionic goodies there seem to be taken from the gem dragon psionics article (which was written for CoW in mind) in that Dragon issue featuring Bahamut and Tiamat's first ever 3e stats.

full_moon_draw

First Post
Nope - I never picked up Dragon Magic, I wasn't that impressed with it when I browsed through a copy. I hadn't noticed that it had Gem Dragon related material in it! I'll have to have a look & re-assess - thanks for the pointer.

Cheers - FMD

full_moon_draw

First Post
Hi all,

Well, here's the latest version of the COW conversion! Sorry it's a "little" over due!!! I lost my access to ENworld from work - which was a pain! Mind you - the real reason for the delay was me trying to decide how to handle the conversion. In the end - I didn't go with our good hearald of Saridors conversion in it's entirity! I hope that the conversion explains why that is. Anyway - I'd really appreciate any feedback that anyone would care to offer!

Cheers - FMD

Attachments

• Cow Conversion 1.9.doc
    965 KB · Views: 205

Remove ads