• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Countdown to the Realms: Magic in the Forgotten Realms

The Ubbergeek

First Post
While I didn't know the Grey box, I felt in love with that world one day, ages ago, and it became my favorite fantasy one at the time of the Dragons of Summer Flames.

While the changes could be explained and worked more, and somes are not my liking, somes do are, and we must perhaps also re-analising the classic critics on FR. Perhaps there was, indeed, a problem there.

So, I greet the changes, and will at least read it. I could always do a game in it's past, or use another setting, or even just stay 3,5. *shrugs* I didn't cry for Dragonlance, I never even called the new stuff bad - it wasn't. I just felt it was time for FR now.

There is 'fandumbness' going on though, I often feels like shouting at WOC 'Just kill the damn setting, so the ragers go away and be punished!'.

PeterWeller said:
Oh, that's the problem. ;)

yep thats mine well one of mine anyhow the voices sometimes out votes me. :\ it happens . for the sake of being nice now i am not gonna list all the thinks i think may be wrong with the guys over at wotc....corse 2 truckloads of redbull may be one of them. that and office lawndarts . anyhow now back to madmax beyond water deep....do we get guns i think its only fair that we get guns ;) and mutants i want dragon born mutants..driveing magic powered wagons up and down the nuked landscape...oh wrong game. :lol:

The Ubbergeek said:
Sad, sad, sad... Tackled on as much as they say, those 'real' parts were cool - Maztica, Kara-tur, Zakhara, hordeland... The others will probably go too.... ;-; Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?
I suspect Kara-Tur is still going to be around, possibly even Zakhara too.

There might even be pockets of Maztica left, just so there's a reason to have Coatl and pyramid-temples where victims get sacrificed to a bloodthirsty Sun God.

Kara-Tur might look very different though, shaped by the events going on in the rest of the world. Shou Lung possibly shattered into a bunch of smaller kingdoms at war with each other to emulate a bunch of Chinese Novels (the 3 kingdoms). It would make that part of Toril into a point of light setting too, and give them the chance to make Kara-Tur a more fantastical place rather than an exact historical analogue.

Ipissimus

First Post
Killing FR would be a bad move, it's a popular setting and WOTC wants to sell books. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't really think they're erasing Maztica, even if it's never been one of the more popular products. There's certainly room for jungle exploration adventures and heart-ripping Aztecs in the game. With any luck, they'll move it to Abeir with the other 'ancient empires' and shazam, you've got a whole new setting that seems to fit together a bit better.

After all, a historically closer aztec/european setting would have a renissance europe/spanish feel to it which the realms don't. No firearms... well, unless you count the contraptions of Gond, but by and large the Realms have a more Celtic/Norse feel to them.

As for the Spellplague, well, they had to do something to explain the sweeping changes they were making to the rules. Admittedly, what they've done is a little ham-fisted but sometimes pork is all you've got to eat. I think the Spellplague will provide some interesting opportunities for adventures, characters and monsters.

What did hit me, as an old fan of the setting, was the death of Midnight.

Khairn

First Post
3catcircus said:
Bleccchhh...

Yeah, that's about my thoughts on this as well.

After reading this latest article I fall back on my first impression of the FR changes ... poorly thought out storyline that attempts to justify any and every change imaginable through an incredibly inconsistent and arbitrary series of events.

Bleccchh .....

Green Knight

First Post
Dragonhelm said:
I'm a big proponent of continuity, and I tend to take Marvel Comics as a model to work with. Marvel never acts like something never happened. They acknowledge that prior events happened, both good and bad. Spider-Man comics recognize that the Clone Saga happened, even though it was considered one of the worst Spider-Man stories by some fans. Now, Marvel may not revisit this storyline ever again, but they won't pretend like it didn't happen.

I just have three words to say to this.

"One More Day".

Ahglock

First Post
Green Knight said:
I just have three words to say to this.

"One More Day".

Uhgggg. i don't know what was worse one more day or the Gwen Stacy knocked up by Osborn storyline. Marvel could use some serious lack of continuity now to remove the suck form there spiderman stories. But hey ine one more bad story they are able to change continuity it marvel just like they are in the realms, "Magic".

Remove ads