Counterspelling Outdated now?

frankthedm

First Post
Main problem is without some other resource expendature, you have to give up your standard action to ready to counterspell, and specificly to counterspell. That means if you don't have the spell normally, you can no longer blast the caster and you are SOL.

The DMG also calls out that Readies are fairly easy to notice. Opposed caster then just picks something less likly to be countered due to range or uses a wand or staff.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I just made counterspelling in general an immediate action. Because I wanted it to actually be a tactically useful action, and got rid of the maybe aspect of using dispel magic to counterspell.

Stalker0

Legend
I use the AE version of counterspelling, and I love it.

You can use dispel magic to counterspell like normal. However, with the feat, you make an opposed caster check with the person casting the spell (you still need to ready an action). The advantage of this is:

1) You don't consume any spell slots.
2) You don't need to have that specific spell on hand.

My group uses counterspells to block weaker casters to save their spells for bigger fights and its worked very well.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
This feat is only a bandaid. Flavorwise it outright sucks IMNSHO.

Surely a "Water Wizard" or "Frost Wizard" that invested in a feat to boost his counterspelling might know a thing or two about countering Fire spells.

frankthedm

First Post
Stalker0 said:
I use the AE version of counterspelling, and I love it.

You can use dispel magic to counterspell like normal. However, with the feat, you make an opposed caster check with the person casting the spell (you still need to ready an action). The advantage of this is:

1) You don't consume any spell slots.
2) You don't need to have that specific spell on hand.

My group uses counterspells to block weaker casters to save their spells for bigger fights and its worked very well.
That sounds like having a dispel magic prepared it like having a Reserve feat. Is that accurate?

Pyrex

First Post
A counterspelling Reserve feat sounds like a great idea.

There's a relatively weak spell-damping (caster level reduction) Reserve feat already, but given that you're already spending actions to counterspell, being able to do it without burning up multiple slots on Dispel Magic seems fair; especially given how effective counterspelling-via-smackdown is already...

wolff96

First Post
frankthedm said:
That sounds like having a dispel magic prepared it like having a Reserve feat. Is that accurate?

Not quite.

In AE, you have two ways to get a Counterspell.

1) Have a Dispel Magic prepared, ready an action to counterspell, and then win the opposed caster power check. This burns up the slot for a Dispel Magic, just like in 3.5 D&D.

2) Have the "Brandish Magical Might" feat. If you have the feat, you can ready an action to counterspell and then try to win the opposed caster power check at no cost to yourself, other than the lost action to ready. Great feat, but it's kind of powerful for standard D&D if you allow all the advantages the feat grants.

For reference: You can use caster power checks (level + modifier) for things like forcing the equivalent of an Arcane Locked door, gain access to the Counterspell option in number two above, and get to add your casting modifier to your caster level to overcome SR 1/2 caster levels per day. (Assuming your casting stat is an 18 or better -- and 17+ is required for the feat -- then it's as good as Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration put together, if not better, IN ADDITION to it's other benefits. The feat is AE-balanced, not core balanced.)

frankthedm

First Post
wolff96 said:
2) Have the "Brandish Magical Might" feat. If you have the feat, you can ready an action to counterspell and then try to win the opposed caster power check at no cost to yourself, other than the lost action to ready. Great feat, but it's kind of powerful for standard D&D if you allow all the advantages the feat grants.
That ALONE sounds too good.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Mr. Patient said:
You don't need to go to the Realms. Improved Counterspell is in the PHB.

Color me with a heavy level of D'Oh! Of course. This actually solves my problem. Gotta love the core books!

-DM Jeff

Matthias_Gloom

First Post
wolff96 said:

What book is this from? It would be super useful in a couple of my games.

Remove ads