Counterspelling Outdated now?

wolff96

First Post
Matthias_Gloom said:
What book is this from? It would be super useful in a couple of my games.

It's from Arcana Evolved by Monte Cook. It's a variant PHB with entirely different races, classes, and magic system. I'd look very carefully before I started using the feats and magic in a regular 3.5 game -- they're internally balanced and may not play well with others. (Some people have done it and had it work well, I personally haven't tried.)

frankthedm said:
That ALONE sounds too good.

As Stalker0 notes, it's not automatic due to the opposed check. It does, however, make counterspelling a very viable tactic against magic users of the same approximate level. (They get to use their level + modifier to oppose your roll -- so unless you're about the same level or they're weaker, don't even bother.)

Considering that the magic in AE is fundamentally different than in standard D&D, it's kind of hard to just eyeball the balance without having played/run the game. I've run a few campaigns in AE now -- getting ready to start my fourth -- and even those folks who have taken BMM usually do it for the extra kick in punching through Spell Resistance.

Counterspelling may be a wonderful idea and very powerful... but most players would rather chuck a fistful of dice for damage anyway. :)

frankthedm

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Note that the big drawback is the counterspell isn't automatic, its an opposed check. However, because it doesn't use slots, its useful against weaker mages.
Also would let a few mook mages shut down PC casters. Sure they don't have a great chance, but even 4-5 levels beneath you, a handfull of mook casters stand a decent chance of shutting down PC casters with that feat, if only because how much variation opposed d20 rolls allow for.

Pyrex

First Post
A 4th level Immediate casting time spell is pretty cheap for countering 9th level spells.

I'd suggest just using Reactive Counterspell (Magic of Faerun, Players Guide to Faerun; once per round Counterspell as an Immediate action. PreReq: Improved Counterspell, Improved Initiative).

Felnar

First Post
counter with same or opposite descriptor (eg. fire - water/ice , light - darkness) of same or higher level sounds like a good start

Kelleris

Explorer
frankthedm said:
Also would let a few mook mages shut down PC casters. Sure they don't have a great chance, but even 4-5 levels beneath you, a handfull of mook casters stand a decent chance of shutting down PC casters with that feat, if only because how much variation opposed d20 rolls allow for.

That's true, but "a few" (3-4) mages of 4-5 levels below you would also have an EL at or just below the level of the single mage they're almost-but-not-quite shutting down. And they have to ready actions, and they'll all die messily as soon as you do manage to get a spell off. Heck, past a certain level, a gaggle of sorcerers with dispel magic can do the same exact thing for the few rounds those guys are going to survive anyway. I am not seeing the problem here. I would tentatively use that as a standard option in certain situations, in fact, for instance if I wanted to emphasize counterspelling in a campaign for some reason, and I don't think it would be too unreasonable.

Now all the other stuff that feat does puts it over the top for standard D&D, I'll grant you. But maybe it's just fine in Arcana Unearthed.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Pyrex said:
A 4th level Immediate casting time spell is pretty cheap for countering 9th level spells.

I'd suggest just using Reactive Counterspell (Magic of Faerun, Players Guide to Faerun; once per round Counterspell as an Immediate action. PreReq: Improved Counterspell, Improved Initiative).
I believe this is the chain mentioned earlier found in FR books.

Also worth noting is "Stifle Spell," a 4th level spell found in the PHB2. It is an immediate interrupt that forces an enemy caster to make a Concentration check or lose his spell.

Darklone

Antimage in the Kalamar Players Guide gives a +4 bonus on the counterspelling checks. Add this to some of the other feats mentioned above.

Remove ads