• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Counterspelling Outdated now?

wolff96

First Post
Matthias_Gloom said:
What book is this from? It would be super useful in a couple of my games.

It's from Arcana Evolved by Monte Cook. It's a variant PHB with entirely different races, classes, and magic system. I'd look very carefully before I started using the feats and magic in a regular 3.5 game -- they're internally balanced and may not play well with others. (Some people have done it and had it work well, I personally haven't tried.)

frankthedm said:
That ALONE sounds too good.

As Stalker0 notes, it's not automatic due to the opposed check. It does, however, make counterspelling a very viable tactic against magic users of the same approximate level. (They get to use their level + modifier to oppose your roll -- so unless you're about the same level or they're weaker, don't even bother.)

Considering that the magic in AE is fundamentally different than in standard D&D, it's kind of hard to just eyeball the balance without having played/run the game. I've run a few campaigns in AE now -- getting ready to start my fourth -- and even those folks who have taken BMM usually do it for the extra kick in punching through Spell Resistance.

Counterspelling may be a wonderful idea and very powerful... but most players would rather chuck a fistful of dice for damage anyway. :)

frankthedm

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Note that the big drawback is the counterspell isn't automatic, its an opposed check. However, because it doesn't use slots, its useful against weaker mages.
Also would let a few mook mages shut down PC casters. Sure they don't have a great chance, but even 4-5 levels beneath you, a handfull of mook casters stand a decent chance of shutting down PC casters with that feat, if only because how much variation opposed d20 rolls allow for.

Pyrex

First Post
A 4th level Immediate casting time spell is pretty cheap for countering 9th level spells.

I'd suggest just using Reactive Counterspell (Magic of Faerun, Players Guide to Faerun; once per round Counterspell as an Immediate action. PreReq: Improved Counterspell, Improved Initiative).

Felnar

First Post
counter with same or opposite descriptor (eg. fire - water/ice , light - darkness) of same or higher level sounds like a good start

Kelleris

Explorer
frankthedm said:
Also would let a few mook mages shut down PC casters. Sure they don't have a great chance, but even 4-5 levels beneath you, a handfull of mook casters stand a decent chance of shutting down PC casters with that feat, if only because how much variation opposed d20 rolls allow for.

That's true, but "a few" (3-4) mages of 4-5 levels below you would also have an EL at or just below the level of the single mage they're almost-but-not-quite shutting down. And they have to ready actions, and they'll all die messily as soon as you do manage to get a spell off. Heck, past a certain level, a gaggle of sorcerers with dispel magic can do the same exact thing for the few rounds those guys are going to survive anyway. I am not seeing the problem here. I would tentatively use that as a standard option in certain situations, in fact, for instance if I wanted to emphasize counterspelling in a campaign for some reason, and I don't think it would be too unreasonable.

Now all the other stuff that feat does puts it over the top for standard D&D, I'll grant you. But maybe it's just fine in Arcana Unearthed.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Pyrex said:
A 4th level Immediate casting time spell is pretty cheap for countering 9th level spells.

I'd suggest just using Reactive Counterspell (Magic of Faerun, Players Guide to Faerun; once per round Counterspell as an Immediate action. PreReq: Improved Counterspell, Improved Initiative).
I believe this is the chain mentioned earlier found in FR books.

Also worth noting is "Stifle Spell," a 4th level spell found in the PHB2. It is an immediate interrupt that forces an enemy caster to make a Concentration check or lose his spell.

Darklone

Antimage in the Kalamar Players Guide gives a +4 bonus on the counterspelling checks. Add this to some of the other feats mentioned above.

Remove ads