Covers for the AD&D 1E Reprints

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I don't know if that's hilarious or terribly sad or both.

Well, to be fair, this is the same store which, when I went to drop about $150 on 3.5 books to start playing, the clerk tried to get me to not buy the books, and made it very apparent that the he did not want to take time away from whatever he was doing to give a complete newbie to D&D advice on what books an intro player should buy.

Griego

First Post
I think they look great. The only downside is the cropping removes the "stories" from the PHB and DMG covers, which was a big part of their impact on me when I first saw them on the shelf back in the day.

NERDTREK

First Post
Looks good to me

Although it is strange that WOTC is interested in reprinting the original AD&D books, I will not be one to complain!

These are the books that got me started. The copies I own are falling apart, missing pages, and starting to literally "rot" from many years of exposure to greasy gamer fingers.

I'll definitely buy a set.

This is a sign that WOTC is hoping to reconnect with the older gaming audience prior to the build up and release of 5e. Ultimately WOTC/HASBRO realizes that 4e had lackluster sales and reviews. They hope to bring all D&D audiences together (regardless of edition) so they can bump up their product sales. I'm not knocking them, just stating what I have observed (especially having friends who work/worked for WOTC/HASBRO in the past.)

Bottom line: They sold me. I'm getting all 3 and scheduling some "retro sessions" running one of these old modules sitting next to my computer now... D1-2 Descent into the Depths of the Earth, S2 White Plume Mountain, or Against the Giants... ;) It's been a good 20+ years!!

Ahzad

Explorer
I've got my originals and they are in pretty good shape. I could buy replacement copies on ebay for much cheaper to replace mine and not lose the rest of the fantastic cover art. I will buy these from WotC for no other reason than part of the proceeds go to the Gygax Memorial Fund. I could just straight up donate the sum to them, but I want the industry/business/WotC to see that there is a gamer out here who thinks that this a great idea and great way to honor this man who has impacted so many of our lives. It probably won't matter to the suits one iota but it matters to me. I would rather see most of the proceeds go to the fund than a part, cover your costs but give the rest.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I don't mind the new covers at all. And if there's a splash page showing the original art in its glory inside, then no harm, no foul at all.

In fact, this is akin to what they should have done with the 4e Red box rather than make them look the same as the originals. When I saw the 4e Red box at a convention, I immediately recognized it and had a swooping nostalgia feeling that crashed immediately when I realized it was for 4e. Before that, it looked like it might have been a really good used copy. I don't mind homage, but please reinterpret at least a little bit to indicate the difference in actual identity.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't mind the new covers at all. And if there's a splash page showing the original art in its glory inside, then no harm, no foul at all.
I agree, but given that we haven't heard a thing about the original covers being reprinted, much less in color, I'm guessing this won't happen.

Here's hoping that WotC's next Gygax-related fundraiser is either a classic D&D art book (including the unobscured cover paintings from all the 1E core books) or posters.

qstor

Adventurer
I got them to support the memorial and as a thank you to WOTC for republishing them.
Morrus did WOTC say they aren't aren't releasing them in Europe?

Thanks

Mike

Remove ads