• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CR of NPC Classes

EOL

First Post
I'm sure this has been brought up and it's probably in the DMG somewhere (though not in the section about NPC classes), but what formula should be used to assign a Challenge Rating to someone with some levels in either adept, aristocrat, commoner, expert, or warrior. For a "normal" class it's relatively easy character level=CR, but what should it be for NPC classes. For some reason (maybe I read it somewhere) I'm inclined to go with 2/3 (NPC level)=CR.

Thoughts? Chapter and Verse?

Dr. Zoom

First Post
DMG, page 167.

CR is level -1. A first level NPC's CR is 1/2. Monsters with NPC levels add NPC level -1 to the CR of the monster, with a minimum of +1.

EOL

First Post
Thanks I knew it had to be in there somewhere this is just the first time I've had my party fight a commoner... ;)

rankarrog

First Post
Although the official formuala for NPC-Class-CR is Classlevel-1, I'd go with Classlevel/2 for the Commoner at least (A Commoner is a worse fighter than a wizard of the same Level(can only use one weapon, can only spend money to buy a half...))

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads