Craft/Time Point Proposal & Discussion

EternalSword

First Post
Just noticed something. The delays you guys mentioned in argueing against LG time units are pretty unlikely in any adventure. You can move pretty quickly at sea, on most of Khorvarie or if you can get an airship. By my estiments an airship at full speed takes less than a month to circumnavigate Eberron assuming you're willing to try to go through Argonessen and Riedran airspace. It's a week or less by lightning rail from one end of Khorvarie to the other, if you can catch an airship over the mournland. Those air-elemental bound ships can loop around eberron almost as fast, and Orien does sell teleportation services.

Rystil Arden

First Post
EternalSword said:
Just noticed something. The delays you guys mentioned in argueing against LG time units are pretty unlikely in any adventure. You can move pretty quickly at sea, on most of Khorvarie or if you can get an airship. By my estiments an airship at full speed takes less than a month to circumnavigate Eberron assuming you're willing to try to go through Argonessen and Riedran airspace. It's a week or less by lightning rail from one end of Khorvarie to the other, if you can catch an airship over the mournland. Those air-elemental bound ships can loop around eberron almost as fast, and Orien does sell teleportation services.
The point is that those speedy transports on which you have time to do things, unlike riding a horse, are exactly why those delays are likely to occur. GMs are likely to just say "You travel by lightning rail to New Cyre, and it takes X days" or "You take a boat to Stormreach and it takes Y days." The world of Eberron is interconnected by those transportation services, and so exotic locales will be fairly common, I suspect.

Erekose13

Explorer
It would appear that this was voted in, but we do not have a write up of it in the approved content section. In looking over characters many of them reference LEW craft points. A finalized faq on crafting should be included.

GwydapLlew

First Post
Crafting Summary

CRAFTING RULES

All characters begin with one hundred (100) Craft Days (CD), regardless of starting level. These CD are expended when enchanting magical or creating nonmagical items outside of an adventure. A CD can be split among creating multiple nonmagical items, but any remaining fractions are rounded down after crafting is complete (to a minimum of 1 CD).

Characters gain one CD per real-time day not spent adventuring. Items crafted while on an adventure do not subtract from a character's CD total, but does take up time in the adventure timeline. Any item creation during an adventure must be approved by that adventure's DM and that adventure's judge beforehand.

NON-MAGICAL ITEMS

Non-magical crafting happens at a rate of 1 GP per (check result - 10) per CD. A character may choose to take 10 on this check or roll using Invisible Castle. LEW follows the SRD in all other regards to the Craft skill.

MAGICAL ITEMS

One CD is expended per 1000 gp of the item's base price (not market price), to a minimum of 1 CD. Potions always only take 1 CD regardless of their base cost.

For more information on crafting magic items, read _these_ guidelines.

(Link coming.)

RECORDING CRAFTING AND ENCHANTING ITEMS

All uses of CDs must be recorded on a character's sheet. An example of the preferred logging method can be found here.

FAQ
1. I'm playing an artificer. How does my Craft Reserve factor into the LEW Crafting rules?

The Craft Reserve class feature for the artificer class has no effect on crafting times. Craft Reserve allows an artificer to spend his reserve points rather than his own XP.

2. How do feats like Exceptional Artisan affect CD?

Exceptional Artisan reduces the amount of time it takes to enchant an item by 25%. Calculate the normal amount of time it would take to enchant the item and multiply it by .75 to reach to correct number of CDs.

Extraordinary Artisan, while reducing the base amount needed to craft items, does not affect crafting times.

Legendary Artisan has no effect on the number of CDs used to enchant an item.

3. I want to sell items! how do I do that?

The in-character marketplace can be found _here_. (Needs approval)

(Link coming.)

4. I want to buy items! How do I do that?

The in-character marketplace can be found _here_. (Needs approval)

(Link coming.)

5. I don't understand how I get more Craft Days!

Let's use an example. If it is February 3, and your character is not currently in a Living Eberron adventure, your character gains 1 CD on February 4.

6. Why do I need approval before crafting an item during an adventure?

Because the timeline of an adventure is dictated by the DM, you will need to make sure that you will have the time and resources necessary to manufacture or enchant items during an adventure.

7. I want to make customized magic items. There aren't any rules on the site for that!

You will need approval from the LEW judges to craft custom magic items. There are two ways to receive this approval: either email the judges (listed below) or post a proposal thread to the LEW forum. Once the item is approved, you can begin enchanting it.

(Needs approval - also, how many 'Yes' votes are needed for approval?)

8. I just leveled up! How many Craft Days go I get?

Under the Living Eberron system, Craft Days accumulate on a basis of 1 CD per real-life day not spent in an adventure. You do not get additional CD for leveling.

9. Can I buy a masterwork item and then enchant it? I don't want to have to buy Craft (jewelry) to make an amulet.

Yes. You can always spend the gold to purchase an item, and then spend CD to enchant it.

Just because you are paying for the material component of an item, you will still need to spend the appropriate amount of CD to enchant the item.

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
Thanks for putting all that together. I think most of the approval items are okay. The three ECS feats are already in. We'd need to set up a marketplace thread for that to work, which I'm fine with and would vote yes on if it was required. Though I do not have enough time to judge it with character stuff on my plate (reminds me I gotta get to your second character don't I).

3 votes are required for any proposal to make it in.

On a side note: I'd like all posts for rolls/expenses included in the character logs on each character. My character - Aethelus d'Cannith has a good example of what I'm looking for. This is especially true of Artificers who need to roll to make items.

Oh and I believe we'd settled on 150 days to start with hadn't we? If not I've been telling all crafting PCs the wrong thing when approving them.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I think we're starting everyone with 100 CP.
I see 100 everywhere here, not 150. It would be remarkably hard to use more than that many, since then you'd have 100,000 GP worth of items and have spent 4,000 XP or craft reserve points.

Erekose13

Explorer
There are a few:

Kharas = 100-14 = 86
Del = 100
Anvuss = 100 - 11 = 89
Shoot = 100 - 2 = 98
Guardian = 100
Sirrel = 100
Aethelus = 100 - 9 = 91

GwydapLlew

First Post
I'm updating the summary with your request for tracking on the character's log. Also, I would be happy in monitoring the Crafting/Marketplace threads - it appeals to my sense of nitpicking. :)

Remove ads