Creating a Character VS Discovering a Character

Water Bob

Adventurer
The tough part of the random roll question is this: You're in a 3E game, and you don't roll a single stat over 12. It's not that hard to do with 4D6, drop lowest. I've seen it happen--recently. :]

Or, you're in a 1E AD&D game, and you don't roll a single stat over 14.

Can you play, enjoy playing, and really make something of that character? The Hobbit who saves the world, so to speak?

aramis erak

Legend
The tough part of the random roll question is this: You're in a 3E game, and you don't roll a single stat over 12. It's not that hard to do with 4D6, drop lowest. I've seen it happen--recently. :]

Or, you're in a 1E AD&D game, and you don't roll a single stat over 14.

Can you play, enjoy playing, and really make something of that character? The Hobbit who saves the world, so to speak?

Is it possible? Yes. Can everyone do it? no.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I like both methods. I've used both methods. I'm currently using 4d6DL with a character stable in my 3.5 campaign. IMHO, that method provides my players with enough statistical variance to fulfill a character concept, but also allows for some level of character discovery.

Sure, but 3.5 has a reroll rule built in for that very situation.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sure, but 3.5 has a reroll rule built in for that very situation.
And AD&D stated that it is usually essential to have a 15 or above in no fewer than 2 stats, indicating that you should re-roll that no higher than 14 roll that [MENTION=92305]Water Bob[/MENTION] posted.

Water Bob

Adventurer
And AD&D stated that it is usually essential to have a 15 or above in no fewer than 2 stats, indicating that you should re-roll that no higher than 14 roll that [MENTION=92305]Water Bob[/MENTION] posted.

I've heard that stated. You don't have a page number, do you? I'd like to read that.

5ekyu

Hero
I'm old school. I prefer to roll dice and discover a character by what the dice tell me. I much prefer a system like 1E AD&D where you random roll stats and then see what type of character you have qualified to play. You can't play a Paladin unless your rolls qualify.

Classic Traveller is another game I love, with a character generation system that is both fun and brilliant. Life doesn't always allow you to make lemonade. You may have wanted to be a film director, but, instead, life turned you down the road of being a computer technician. That's how CT character generation works. And, it generates some extremely interesting characters.

I love rolling dice and listening to them--figuring out what they mean. I love to figure out "How did this character come to be this way."

To me that's much more rewarding than systems like 3E D&D where a player can play any class of character, right off the bat, as there's no requirements (which is not always true, especially with prestige classes).

There are a significant number of people, though, on the other side of this who argue, "If I want to play a Paladin, then why can't I? I want to have fun, too! And, I want to play a Paladin, regardless of what I roll!"

To be fair, I can see that point.

What about you? Where do you stand on this issue?
While i certainly have had fun with say CT and such style chargen, i have found it easier for more players to get into character the more they have control over background.

But, also, even then a dash of unpredictability can spice it up with a bit of stuff hapowns.

At times i have required one life path roll for child, teen and apprentice stsges even in mostly control your own vhargen. But those lifepaths were designed as accessory not restrictive.

Even now, at new PC stages ties between players will be determined using a partially random method that the players then flesh out.

But, as an aside, i have seen some players who like characters who are backseat driven (lotsa details that drive the character's forward path in their background) and others that like mostly front seat characters (background thin but their great story and formative times ahead of them) and all in between.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

redrick

First Post
Both approaches are valid, and I think every roleplayer should try taking both approaches at least once.

Personally, I like to randomize some elements early on, and then figure out how to build a coherent character around that. It is important for me to have a character that I want to play if I am to play that character consistently, so that means that the character has to tap into some sort of theme or personality that I am interested in.

Remove ads