• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating a Werecat

Gromnar

First Post
Hi everyone,

One of my players is creating a werecat character of Sharess. The main source for this template is in Lost Empires of Faerun, page 179-181. They will be around level 12.

In this campaign, players are able to take advantage of a free +1 level adjustment (or gain a magic item to compensate if they choose not to use the adjustment). After looking over the werecat template, it is extremely odd to say the least, and the stat blocks on the example seem to be in error in some places.

I need some help deciphering what ability scores the werecat grants. I look at it and see:

-4 Strength, +6 Dex, +2 Con

It does not seem to grant damage reduction, which all other lycanthropes do, as I recall. The level adjustment of +3 seems ridiculously high given that its form grants negatives to ability scores and no damage reduction.

What are your opinions? Is the level adjustment accurate, or should it be closer to +1? Should it have damage reduction?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Thing is, the werecat is really just a small cat, not a human sized one as many assume. Hence the stats aren't all that impressive. It only makes sense to use it that was if it is based on a rogue type. Even then, I'd add at least some damage reduction.

I suggest taking the weretiger as a base and then just make it the color of a normal cat if it can't be another feline breed.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I don't know if this is helpful for what you're looking for, but are you familiar with the Tibbit from Dragon Magazine Compendium? +0 LA race, have the ability to shapeshift between a halfling-like Small body and a Tiny housecat at will, however after turning from cat to halfling-like, you must wait an hour to return to housecat size.

If this is in the spirit of what your PC wants, it has no level adjustment and so that +1 LA could be better spent someplace else.

The base creature does not change a lycanthrope's DR. For afflicted lycanthropes it'll still be DR 5/silver. For natural lycanthropes it'll be DR 10/silver. If it doesn't list DR with the lycanthrope, they either screwed up or assume that the player will use the base lycanthrope rules from the MM and only apply the stats for the base animal.

Those stats listed are only specific to a werecat because changing into hybrid or animal form also changes the character's physical ability modifiers. Take a look towards the bottom of Lycanthrope :: d20srd.org.

-4 Str, +6 Dex, and +2 Con are actually somewhat off from how the SRD describes the changes. A werecat would have -8 str, +4 dex, and +0 con... Which is totally not worth it typically.

It might be using the stats for a 3.0 cat and not the 3.5 version, but I can't verify. Assuming the base creature is a cat though, the stat changes for going into hybrid or animal form would indeed be -8 str, +4 dex.

Gromnar

First Post
The base animal says a lynx-sized cat, a small creature, not a tiny cat as in the monster manual. The template comes from lost empires of faerun. They must have customized the stats since the only cat that fits is the serval from sandstom, published much later.

As for level adjustment as presented, do you think it is too high?

Thank you all for your input so far.

anest1s

First Post
The base animal says a lynx-sized cat, a small creature, not a tiny cat as in the monster manual. The template comes from lost empires of faerun. They must have customized the stats since the only cat that fits is the serval from sandstom, published much later.

As for level adjustment as presented, do you think it is too high?

Thank you all for your input so far.

Lycanthrope :: d20srd.org
Leopard :: d20srd.org

A dire leopard would have a +5 LA

I think its the warecat is ok, but it depends heavily on what the player wants to be. If he wants it just for the flavor then no, it is not ok :p

edit: it should also get the dr, this has to be a typo or something

Looking at the stat blocks given for the lycans there, they screwed up on the werecat entries. ALL lycanthropes have DR /silver, no exception. This is WotC we're talking about, so be on the lookout for inconsistencies like this.

The LA is a bit iffy to decide on, and not because of the werecat's unique features. Afflicted lycans hover between +1 and +2 in my eyes, and naturals are +2 or +3. I'd probably go with +1 and +2 since a lot of the power comes from the animal hit dice.

My only guess on the base creature for werecat is they advanced a regular cat to make it small, but that would put the ability changes at -4 str, +2 dex, +0 con. It's a 3.5 book and since no feline in the MM is small it perplexes me a bit.

The stat changes and overall abilities are reasonable though. Other cat character options are anthropomorphic animals from Savage Species, and those will typically be better for flavor and use.

A Werecat should not be weaker than a Wererat, even if it is based off a housecat.

That's my 2 cents.
To play devil's advocate on this one, the wererat is based on a dire rat. We have no smegging idea what creature the werecat is based on.

Oddly enough, none of the lycanthropes listed in the MM have a strength penalty, or any ability penalty period. Sounds like we need a proper dire cat to hunt the dire rat.

Remove ads