• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating an Avatar of Talona

Gromnar

First Post
Does anyone have any advice on creating an avatar of Talona? In my campaign, I've got a group of characters in her realm in the Barrens of Doom and Despair. They've encurred her wrath with several things they've done (killing a powerful druidess/priestess of her faith and raiding her most prominant temple in faerun, escaping three seperate encounters of her monsters in her realm when they plane shifted there, the last of which was one of her more powerful demons). She's pissed, and the group is almost out of her realm into the actual Barrens. They called an Astral Deva who can plane shift them back to Faerun after they leave Talona's realm into the wasteland of the Barrens, where her influence drops (she's blocking their planar travel at the moment).

So, I was thinking Talona sends an avatar to confront the characters, however, there are no stats for one and I definately don't want a total party kill. There are 3 13th level gestalt characters, 2 12th level gestalt cohorts and an Astral Deva in the party.

If not Talona, does anyone have suggestions for a good final boss? I was thinking a heavily modified taint elemental elder, but wondering on what you think.

Any help would be apperciated.

Sekhmet

First Post
Are you of the opinion that Talona is both the World Serpent and the deity described in the Forgotten Realms books, or are you of the opinion that they are separate?

Sekhmet

First Post
Excellent. An Avatar of Talona (in my mind) would ideally be a Scaled One (Naga, Yuan-Ti, or other Sarrukh). It would also be an Assassin, Master of Vipers, or other poison/disease dealing class (or both, in a Gestalt world).
Or I could just draw it up like a monster with no class levels.

Gromnar

First Post
I'm wondering if an avatar of talona would be a far too powerful foe for this party to face. They are in her realm which makes the avatar too powerful. Of course, I could make it anyway and hope the pcs have the sense to run. Otherwise, I was maybe thinking a greater taint elemental with the demonically infused template with talona making it a proxy (granting it demigod powers and a few rank 1 salient abilities).

Thoughts on that? I'm not sure if making her snake oriented fits with my current theme (though I plan to introduce yuan-ti later on faerun).

Sekhmet

First Post
Okay, so completely removing the snake element seems prudent for you.

The following changes would be needed - 294 HP, 100ft. speed, Extra Immunites: energy Drain, Transmutation, Mind Effects, DR35/+4, Energy Resistance 20, SR 32, Immortal.
I'd probably give it Battlesense and Lay Curse as salient abilities.

As it stands, unless your group is more optimised than I typically play with, this would probably end in a TPK.

Gromnar

First Post
The group is essentially a warlock//rogue, cleric//dervish, cleric//bard, cleric//sorcerer, wizard//techsmith and an astral deva. I'm thinking I should cause them to flee instead of them fighting to win. If I were to make an avatar of talona from scratch, I'm not sure how.

Sekhmet

First Post
Then your rank 0 Greater Taint Elemental should work, if you want them to run. You could add in the Divine Fast Healing ability as well, to ensure no shenanigans can mess with the plan.

Allow it to Fast Heal only while in an area of taint, and force your party to travel through it's territory rather than having it seek them out. The creature attacks, they're forced to run through the creature's territory to get to the other side (out of the Barrens, so they can plane shift).
It'll create some theatrical drama and possibly kill one of your party members, but if they have access to resurrection magics.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads