• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating New Character Classes

MGibster

Legend
Are there any official guidelines for creating new d20 character classes? Yeah, I know I could tweak existing once but I'm just curious as to how easy it is to build them from scratch.

Marc

Crothian

First Post
It really depends how different the class is. I don't know of any official rules for it though. If you have an idea, I'd suggest posting it over in the House Rules forum, people are pretty darn helpful over there.

Macbeth

First Post
To be honest, I think a new base class is more of art then a science. Do what feels right, then playtest it until you're happy.

Deadguy

First Post
Macbeth said:
To be honest, I think a new base class is more of art then a science. Do what feels right, then playtest it until you're happy.
Sage advice, Macbeth.

I think it helps if the class you are creating is close to another already extant character class. That's where the DMG's discussion (pp174-176, 3.5 DMG) is most help. Chopping out an ability here, an ability there, swapping with similar abilities, especially from another class, is relatively straightforward. Indeed I would say that the revised Ranger is an example of class reconstruction from the 3.0 Ranger.

So work with your ideas, and be prepared to adjust them in play. In addition, other people's input is very very helpful, which is where the House Rules forum comes into its own! :)

MGibster

Legend
Macbeth said:

I suspected this would be the answer. No problem, I just thought I'd see if there was anything more official out there. Thanks for your advice folks. I'll be sure to stop by the homebrew area once I got my classes down.

Marc

Trainz

Explorer
MGibster said:
I suspected this would be the answer. No problem, I just thought I'd see if there was anything more official out there. Thanks for your advice folks. I'll be sure to stop by the homebrew area once I got my classes down.
Don't despair yet.

The Unearthed Arcana is your friend. It has a lot of variant classes, with different approaches (gestalt, generic, already existing classes with mods) that you might find what you're looking for in there. Chances are, if you don't, what's in there is the best guidelines you can currently find.

I'm especially fond of the barbarian's whirling frenzy, combat sorceror, and spontaneous cleric. A combat sorceror with a single level of cleric and the right feats (arcane strike, divine might, divine shield) is something to behold...

Corinthi

First Post
Hey Marc,

If I might suggest the D20 Anime SRD. I've been reading it over of late and I've been genuinely impressed. It's not the most elegant of guidelines, but it's certainly interesting. There are a couple of nice free PDFs people have formatted, and you can look at the RTFs at the Guardians of Order page.

Stock D20 doesn't really have creation guidelines like Spycraft does, but the Anime SRD might give you some ideas to work with.

Jesse

Remove ads