• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating NPCs/Classed Monsters

Hey everyone,

I was reading through the DMG and MM last night trying to figure out how to convert my 3.0 NPCs into 4e Monsters/NPCs. The way I understand it is that you can apply a "Class Template" to a monster in the MM, but I am confused about the process. Would someone mind walking me through the process step by step to show me? Let us take; for example, a 14th level human cleric (evil diety)...how would I convert him from 3.5 to 4.0?

Thanks again for all your help in advance.

Last edited:

dragon_eater

First Post
If you want to do a straight classed npc you should follow the NPC Design Steps on page 187-188 in the DMG. This is the process I would recommend for your 14th level cleric. I can explain it step by step if you have trouble understanding it.

Class templates are different and are used to make a normal monster a class. Class templates also turn a monster into an elite. Class templates can be found 182-183.

hamishspence

Adventurer
Back of the book

Back of MM has races as usable for NPCs: take DMG npc rules and add racial bonuses.

If monster doesn't have said rules in back of book, apply the elite class template: level 12 trog becomes level 12 elite trog warlord, say. The elite template means more hit points, and is for monsters who are too powerful to play as PCs. Effectively, it is first a monster, and only second, a wizard or fighter or whatever.

the NPC class rules + back of book races can be used to fill out gaps in the monster list: like, if you want PCs to face low level drow, make them 1st level NPC fighters.

dragon_eater said:
If you want to do a straight classed npc you should follow the NPC Design Steps on page 187-188 in the DMG. This is the process I would recommend for your 14th level cleric. I can explain it step by step if you have trouble understanding it.

Class templates are different and are used to make a normal monster a class. Class templates also turn a monster into an elite. Class templates can be found 182-183.

Does the DMG give recommendations on the amount of experience the party would get from vanquishing this NPC if they fought him?

Forgive me DragonEater (and thank you for your response), but if you wouldn't mind spelling it out for me I would greatly appreciate it. I understand better with examples.

almagest

First Post
SolidSnake_01 said:
Does the DMG give recommendations on the amount of experience the party would get from vanquishing this NPC if they fought him?

Forgive me DragonEater (and thank you for your response), but if you wouldn't mind spelling it out for me I would greatly appreciate it. I understand better with examples.
There's an experience table in the DMG, on page 120, which is based on level. For example, a first level monster is 100 XP. A first level elite monster is 200 XP.

SolidSnake

First Post
almagest said:
There's an experience table in the DMG, on page 120, which is based on level. For example, a first level monster is 100 XP. A first level elite monster is 200 XP.

So a 14th level human cleric is a 14th level ELITE monster b/c of the application of the class template?

dragon_eater

First Post
SolidSnake_01 said:

Every Monster and NPC follows the experience table on page 56 of the DMG.

SolidSnake_01 said:

In the order in the DMG.

1. Choose Level
Level 14
2. Choose Race and Class
Human Cleric
3. Determine Ability Scores
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 13 <- Base Stats
Str 11, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 13, Wis 22, Char 14 <- After Ability score increase from level and race.
4. Determine Hit Points and Healing Surges
Hit Points = 8*Level + Con Score = 130
Healing Surges: 2 because he is paragon tier.
5. Calculate Defenses
Base: (10+1/2 level+stat mod) Fort 21, Ref 18, Will 25 (Clerics get +2), AC 23 (Chain).
Then add the level bonus of +5 to all of them to get:
Fort 26, Ref 23, Will 30, AC 28
6. Powers: ( 1 at will, 2 encounter, 1 daily, 2 utility, class abilities)
Lance of Faith (At Will)
Divine Power (level 9 Daily)
Plague of Doom (Level 13 encounter)
Awe Strike (level 7 encounter)
Mass Cure Light Wounds (level 10 utility)
Divine Vigor (level 6 utility)
Healing Word (class feature)
Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune (class feature)
7. Choose Skills
Religion and whatever else you want him to have.
8. Choose Equipment
Chain Mail, probably a mace, anything else you want him to have. Remember he has a Magic Threshold of +2.
9. Calculate Attack and Damage
Calculate these as you would for a PC and then add +5 to attack and damage.
+14 vs AC for the Mace for 1d8 + 5, +18 vs Reflex for Lance of Faith for 1d8+11 damage.
10. Choose Rituals
Give the Cleric whatever rituals you feel is appropriate.

Unlisted Rule 0: Fudge whatever you want to make the character interesting.

Last edited:

dragon_eater

First Post
SolidSnake said:
So a 14th level human cleric is a 14th level ELITE monster b/c of the application of the class template?

A 14th level human cleric is a 14th level creature. (1000 xp)

If you turn the Level 14 Artillery Cyclops Impaler into a Cleric he becomes a level 14 Elite. (2000 xp)

PS. Sorry for the double post.

Mengu

First Post
Just go through the step by step process starting on page 187. You already have the first two steps done.

Step 1: Level 14

Step 2: human cleric

Step 3a: Str 13, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 14
Step 3b: Str 14, Con 13, Dex 11, Int 12, Wis 22, Cha 18

Step 4: HP: 8x14+13 = 125

Step 5: AC: 16 (chain) + 7 (1/2 level) + 5 (level bonus) = 28; Fort 24, Refl 22, Will 29 (I'm not giving him any magic items so don't need to subtract magic threshold)

Step 6: At Will: Sacred Flame
Encounter: Plague of Doom, Searing Light
Daily: Flame Strike
Utility: Knights of Unyielding Valor, Holy Lantern

Step 7: Insight +18, Religion +13

Step 8: Chain, Mace, holy symbol

Step 9: This will take a minute, as each attack mode needs to be calculated separately. I'll do it for the final stat block.

Step 10: Raise Dead, Consult Mystic Sages

So the Stat block would look something like the following (I got lazy for some bits):

Bubba, Human High Priest - Level 14 Controller (Leader)
Initiative +7; Senses Perception +13
HP: 125; Bloodied 62
AC: 28; Fort 24, Refl 22, Will 29
Speed 5
:bmelee: Mace (standard; at-will): +16 vs AC, 1d8+7 damage
:ranged: Sacred Flame (standard; at-will): +18 vs Refl, 1d6+11 radiant damage, ally gains 11 temp HP or makes save, range 5.
Holy Lantern (standard; at-will): Conjure Lantern (see power description)
Channel Divinity - Divine Fortune (free; encounter): +1 bonus to next attack roll or saving throw before the end of your next turn.
Healing Word (minor; encounter(twice)): target can spend healing surge +3d6 HP.
:ranged: Plague of Doom (standard; encounter): +18 vs Fort, 3d8+11 damage, target takes -4 penalty to defenses, range 10.
:ranged: Searing Light (standard; encounter): +18 vs Refl, 2d6+11 radiant damage, target blinded till end of your next turn, range 10.
:area: Flame Strike (standard; daily): +18 vs Refl, 2d10+11 fire damage, ongoing 11 fire damage (save ends), Miss: Half damage, no ongoing fire. Burst 2 within 10.
Knights of Unyielding Valor (standard; daily): Conjure 4 ghostly warriors (see power description)
Rituals: Raise Dead, Consult Mystic Sages
Skills: Insight +18, Religion +13
Str 14 (+9), Con 13 (+8), Dex 11 (+7), Int 12 (+8), Wis 22 (+13), Cha 18 (+11)
Equipment: Chainmail, Mace, Holy Symbol, etc.

Got ninjad big time...

Remove ads