• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating Villains

HealingAura

First Post
I am now creating a new villain for my campaign and I have been wondering how can I create an evil humanoid necromancer. It is my first time as a DM and I would appreciate any tips for NPC creation. I think the villain fits the "Death Master" functional template in the DMG (P177), but I don't know how to choose appropriate powers for him as he is kind of a main villain.

How do you create villains for your campaign?

James McMurray

First Post
You could make him a dark pact necromancer (FRPG). Or you could take the orcus cultists and modify one to suit your needs. Or you could pick a class (cleric and wizard work well) and reflavor the powers to be spooky-evil: same effects, but necrotic and cold for energy types.

For creating villains I usually find a good base creature then slap a class on. I haven't created a villain that's intended to survive long, but if I did I'd definitely make them several levels higher than the PCs and/or have them never appear without a pre-planned getaway. Doing otherwise is a sure sign that the NPC is going to die early, and probably wasn't smart enough to be a major villain anyway.

Dracorat

First Post
The cool thing about a Necromantic BBEG who dies early is that his reverent fans can always raise him as a vampire or some such. =)

ghearus

Explorer
Here is a BBEG that I created for a campaign:

necromantic-theurge.jpg

I posted a little more detail about him on my blog, but basically the design phase was to:

- Figure out the theme
- Figure out the big bang effect (Dark Summoning)
- Provide some leader capability (Necromantic Surge)
- Give him some way to slow down heavy hitters (Soul Burn)
- Give him a ranged basic attack

Cheers!

ghearus

Explorer
I use Microsoft word to create them, and then render it to an image.

I should check out the monster creators, but it is fun to lay them out nicely :)

Remove ads