• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creative Exercise: The Sovereign Dominion of Eyros

Rystil Arden

First Post
Sarellion said:
The idea has some merit but hm better leave it alone. Doesn´t mean that there should be some undergroud structures.

I would think that the dwarves tunneled underground but then there would be some free dwarves beneath Eyros. As far as we know the elves controlled the lands above, what was the role of the dwarves? Corulers in elven lands or oppressed people already? They had kings a the time of the cerebrum ruby, at the same time as the Valjin empire. So did the dwarves lose their freedom then or later Are the dwarves only hated because of one assassination?
Heh, I meant that to be an obvious joke, but I guess it wasn't.

::goes back to irony school and stays::

Abisashi

First Post
Contribution - Deciever's War and The Return

domino said:
At the dead of winter, there is a great festival, where communities and neighbors come together to pool their resources, prepare and share meals. Among the powerful, it is a chance to make connections, and invite friends and allies to a feast, prepared by servants, and for talking, bargaining, and general politicing. The middle and lower classes continue to share communal meals.
This festival traces its roots back to the time when winters were much more brutal, and it was not uncommon for several people to die in a community because of the cold and illness.

Nobody knows when, or why the winters became milder and less dangerous. The festival itself, however, carried over.

Dragons were originally created or brought into the world by Taufenacht. His enemies created dragons to counter his, but they were young and weak. Before Taufenacht won the Deciever's War (in 4856 BE) his enemies hid the last of their dragons away. Almost 800 years later the Five Heroes awakened these dragons to aid them against Taufenacht's dragons, and they were able to kill several before they lost the element of surprise. Although the heroes eventually succeeded in killing all of Taufenacht's older dragons (at least, so it is believed), several younger ones escaped or were not found, and most of the good dragons perished.

The Five Heroes destroyed most of Taufenacht's access points to the world, but they missed one in the far north, where Taufenacht's Silver-White hybrid, Alsixnivis, was taking his first flights. Taufenacht can now only influence the world through a few points - the cerebrum ruby, the Twelve, and perhaps a few other places. Now he is just biding his time, for few if any people who are not his his ally, servant, or thrall know that he still lives and has access to the world.

Khorod

First Post
Taufenacht = Tou-fen-yaht

or

Taufenacht = Tow-fen-act

The consonant names are killing me. My next contribution will involve "The Blue Mountains" somehow.

Khorod said:
Taufenacht = Tou-fen-yaht

or

Taufenacht = Tow-fen-act

The consonant names are killing me. My next contribution will involve "The Blue Mountains" somehow.

Think of it as vaguely Germanic.

"Tau" rhymes with "now" or the last syllable of "eyebrow."

"Fen" is sort of an indistinct vowel sound, somewhere between rhyming with "then" and "thin."

"Nacht" falls somewhere between the o in "octupus" and the a in "stalk."

Arkhandus

First Post
I've been pronouncing it tow/tao fen NOKKT, emphasizing the n and the ch. I pronounce the last part like an Irishman saying ach! But that's just me.

Consequently, this brings up something I wanted to note briefly. For the lizardfolk I've used the convention that their reptilian mouths might not have functional lips as humans do (since so far as I know, mammals are the only ones that tend to have fine motor control with their lips, whereas reptiles are rarely able to even part their lips to bare teeth, most have to actually just open their mouth. Thus for Kohl'Tass names (such as Rrahask Sshasaar, "Venerable Mother") I've figured they don't use the letters B b, F f, M m, P p, and V v. The sounds produced by these letters in speech (at least in English) require the use of lips to varying extents, whereas other letters in English require only the use of tongue, teeth, and the roof of the mouth. So avian creatures (or any with beaks, rather) likely cannot produce the sounds of the letters B, F, M, P, or V. Lizardfolk slightly resemble crocodiles, with their strong, jutting jaws (though weak by comparison to crocs), so I figured their speech either doesn't use these letters or uses substitutes. Dunno if this convention should extend to the Draconic language in general, and the Auran language moreso, but it's possible.

For the Orrukarn language of Ar'kesh, I figured it uses the full range of letters but primarily emphasizes certain sounds, like rolling R's, A's, O's, N's, K's, and L's, but not excessively. It would be somewhat harsh and hard-sounding, but much more refined than the older Gnoll language (which sounds more like barking, baying, growling, and yipping than actual speech). The Orrukarn language would roll off the tongue somewhat, but interrupted by several hard consonants and pauses, with many words possessing a dash - or apostraphe ' indicating either a composite word or a strong attachment of adjective/pronoun to a noun.

For instance, the next NPC I mention will be a fellow I put in the Rules/Crunch of Eyros thread recently, Drokarizaan mal-Viresshti Kaltremos Farizhuur, a highborn gnoll of Orrukar. The mal-Viresshti begins his list of family names, Viresshti as his mother's family name (mal- denoting "born to the bloodline of" in Ar'kesh), Kaltremos his father's family name (less important as he only provided the seed, and Orrukarn families are matriarchal), Farizhuur denoting that he is of the twenty-third such combination of those families (the twenty-third time a Viresshti woman and Kaltremos man made a family and produced children). I noted in the Orrukar post that the Orrukarn are highly inbred over the centuries/millenia, but maintained health through arcane and psionic manipulation in pregnancies.

Arkhandus

First Post
Contribution:
A small embassy in Eyrdeyn sits on one of the uppermost of the middle-class terraces, the embassy of the Orrukarn gnolls who occasionally do business in Eyros. The embassy is a round building about 30 feet in diameter and similarly tall, with three levels and a small cellar, the middle floor home to a small group of honor guards, while the upper floor is abode to the current Orrukarn ambassador to Eyros, a highborn gnoll named Drokarizaan mal-Viresshti Kaltremos Farizhuur. This young gnoll from the Independant Island-State of Orrukar is an aristocrat of many connections and more ambition, a frequent guest at Eyrdeyn's parties (noble, middle-class, or otherwise), and host to many more.

Drokarizaan is a regular at many raucous taverns and a valued advisor to certain senators, as he is knowledgeable about the lower classes and their goings-on, especially since he secretly partakes in many activities with Eyrdeyn's underworld and black market. Drokarizaan is friendly and polite, but inside he is as secure as any Orrukarn in his people's superiority. The ambassador particularly enjoys the Claws of the Dragon tournaments, cheering on both the popular half-orcs and the underdogs, making bets and rubbing elbows with Eyrdeyn's upper class. He has served for 5 years in Eyrdeyn, which has only had an Orrukarn embassy for around 200 years, and Drokarizaan would prefer to return home at some point to pursue his ambitions.

Arkhandus said:
I've been pronouncing it tow/tao fen NOKKT, emphasizing the n and the ch. I pronounce the last part like an Irishman saying ach! But that's just me.

Actually, I wasn't clear in my post above. The "ch" in "nacht" is pronounced. Your Irishman example is accurate.

I was using the examples solely to indicate rhyme, not to the sound of the consonants to follow.

Sarellion

Explorer
Hm , this dragons created by demons just messed my planned contribution. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

So does Taufenacht gain power from the worship of the reptile cult as he is the father of dragons and the whole 7th pillar story a prophecy in favor of evil? At least he is one part of the divine forces the cult venerates.

By the way if you split the word Taufenacht into taufe and nacht you have the two german words for baptism and night

Taufe=baptism
nacht=night

A night of baptism would be taufnacht.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Sarellion said:
Hm , this dragons created by demons just messed my planned contribution. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

So does Taufenacht gain power from the worship of the reptile cult as he is the father of dragons and the whole 7th pillar story a prophecy in favor of evil? At least he is one part of the divine forces the cult venerates.

By the way if you split the word Taufenacht into taufe and nacht you have the two german words for baptism and night

Taufe=baptism
nacht=night

My guess would be that the sacred lizards are the natural counterparts to the Evil unnatural dragons of Taufenacht, but that's just my opinion

Sarellion said:

Taufe=baptism
nacht=night

All right. You caught me. ;)

When I was coming up with the name for the demon, I originally had something a little different. It sounded German, however, and I know the word "nacht," so I decided to flip open a German/English dictionary and see if I could come up with anything of a similar sound that might have some meaning.

Thus, I knew that "taufen" was baptism and "nacht" was night, and I put them together deliberately. I knew it wouldn't be proper German, since I don't know the language, but I liked the feel of having the two words together.

For the record, though, I wasn't thinking of it as a "night of baptism" so much as the notion of someone being baptized by darkness, rather than water.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads