D&D 3E/3.5 Creature Catalog 3.5 Overhaul Project

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Smilodon

first up will be the smilodon, since it will be the easiest and the only one i really have time for right now!

Smilodon

ok, the first thing you should notice is that the Beast class is gone. this creature existed on earth (as far as we know), and although it sometimes speaks like dennis leary, it is not unusual enough to qualify for Magical Beast, so it is now simply an Animal.

the only real change there is that brings its Hit Dice down to 7d8+35 (66 hp). as an option, we could increase its Con to bring the hp back up, but that may not be necessary.

the rest of its stat block should look something like this:
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+17 (if i calculated that right?)
Attack: Claw +12 melee (1d8+8)
Full Attack: 2 claws +12 melee (1d8+8), bite +7 melee (2d8+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Pounce, improved grab, rake 2d4+4
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 17, Con 20, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6

it would now have 10 skill points (don't forget the special kitty skill bonuses!) and it gains 3 feats.

the rest of the stat block shouldn't change (and for most monsters, it won't - except for CR perhaps and LA).

the sources line will have to be updated as soon as i can recall where else the smilodon appeared. ;)

the special attacks that the smilodon has have been updated for 3.5e as follows:

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a smilodon must hit with a claw or bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake.

Pounce (Ex): If a smilodon charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +12 melee, damage 2d4+4.

besides that, there shouldn't be much else to change to the smilodon. discuss amongst yourselves, and we'll move on to the next monster tomorrow. :)

Edit: we don't really need all this extra text on here do we? when we move on to a new monster from now on, i'll just be replacing the text with a link to the old version.

Last edited:

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Why isn't the flumph on the list to be upgraded? Shouldn't the greatest of the losers perservere to 3.5E :)?

Edit: About Scry, spells that would require a Scry check now allow Will saves on the part of those being scried on to avoid it, thus negating the need to have an independent Scry skill.
Also, how exactly will this conversion process go? What sorts of responses do you want, Boz?

Last edited:

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
las said:

With the two toughness feats that would give it 72 HP close to what it had at first.:D

Now with the skills I think it should have these three
also the ranks out of the ten skill points are there to

Listen +4, Move Silently +4, Spot +2

Then all thats needed is the abilitys added in (plus size if it counts) and that might work.

IIRC, archaeologists believe the smilodon was likely to be an ambush killer - which suggests ranks in Hide, and a nice racial bonus to the Hide skill too.

Improved Critical (bite) wouldn't be unusual for a smilodon, although it'd have be a bonus feat due to the animal not meeting the prereqs.

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

cildarith

Explorer
Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Scaladar

Scaladar

some notes:

As a construct, the scaladar now has bonus hit points, making its Hit Dice: 7d10+30 (68 hp) – much more formidable now!

Type traits are no longer listed in the monster descriptions, so we can remove that section.

Due to the restructuring of the Damage Reduction rules, I would switch the Half Damage From Piercing and Slashing to maybe, DR 10/bludgeoning?

These are the only other changes to the stat block that I see as necessary:

Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +8 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+11
Attack: Claw +7 melee (1d12+3)
Full Attack: 2 claws +7 melee (1d12+3), tail +2 melee (2d4+1 plus sting)
Space/Reach: 10 ft/5 ft

Ok, discuss! :) the scaladar and the smilodon will probably have to carry us through the weekend, as this weekend (and every other weekend for the rest of the month, I suspect) will be far too busy for me to do any real work on the CC. But never fear, for I shall be here with you! :D enjoy!

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
The Smildon's CR should be 6 at the most, due to it's low AC. I would most likely peg it at CR 5 though.
It should have no LA, as the animals in the MM lack that entry (or rather have a - as the LA entry.)

Descriptive text for the smilodon follows:

The animal looks much like a large cat, but has long, daggerlike fangs. The creature has light brown fur, with markings of a darker color. It growls as it approaches.

Note on skills: The bonus to Hide should increase to +8 in areas of high grass or dense undergrowth.

-

Let's get started on the Scaladar allready! ;)

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
Knight Otu said:
I think there are some creatures in the update booklet with a hgher attack type DR, so 10/Bludgeoning might still work.
There's a few in the booklet that have, say, 15/magic and bludgeoning, or 15/ epic and bludgeoning, but I believe that's for creatures that already had DR 15/x in 3.0.

For example, I believe the Lich used to have 15/+1. Now it's 15/magic and bludgeoning.

The only straight attack type DR greater than 5 in the update booklet is for the Leechwalker (MMII, CR 10): 10/piercing or slashing; and the Umbral Banyan Ephemera (MotP, CR 10): 10/slashing or bludgeoning. The 3.5 MM has only the Treant (CR 8): DR 10/slashing. Note that the first two have double attack types so they're easier to hit. And the last two are both plants (hence the slashing damage). Everything else (and there's quite a few) is DR 5/attack type.

Let's try to stick as close to standard DRs as possible. No need to make the Scaladar *exceptionally* resistant to piercing and slashing. How about we leave the DR at 5/bludgeoning, and set the CR at 8? That way we stick closer to the 3.0 CR level as well.

Krishnath

First Post
From the 3.5 MM, page 300 (Side bar):
Damage Reduction: Assigning a damage reduction value can be tricky. Setting the value to high can make a creature virtually immune to physical attacks, On the other hand, most player characters carry some magic weapons, so setting the value to low can result in an ineffective ability

Target CR . . . . . . . Recommended DR

0-2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . None
3-5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5
6-13 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
14-20 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15

Remember, even if player characters can hurt the monster, lesser creatures in the game world cannot hurt the creature, nor can the player characters cohorts or any creatures they summon.

As the scaladars approcimate CR is in the 6-13 category, a damage reduction of 10/bludgeoning should not be a problem. Also, how many PC adeventuring parties do not have access to bludgeoning weapons?

Later,

Here's my take on the smilodon's descriptive text: A large lion steps toward you. You see that, strangely, it has no mane. You have only seconds to ponder before it leaps, saber fangs flashing.

Krishnath

First Post
I think the crystalbrittle spell would be classified as a shatter like spell.

Anyways, a description: "You see what appears to be a huge scorpion at rest some distance away from you, the creature reacts and starts to slowly move towards you. As the monster gets closer, you can clearly see that it is a construct crafted from copper and various other metals."

Later,

Remove ads