• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature Catalog VI in Dragon #355

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm kind of bummed about the omission of the quickling, but the rest of the article looks really good. I can't wait until I get a chance to read it.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I took a quick look at the issue at the library. All the creatures look really good and I can't wait to get my copy and use the new monsters in my adventures.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Gothenem said:
*blink*

*blink*

*blink*

Your LIBRARY gets Dragon Magazine's before SUBSCRIBERS?????

Um, well I thought the library was a subscriber, but truth be told, I often buy Dragon and Dungeon on the newstand before many subscribers get their issue.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I got my copy yesterday and the first article I read was the "Creature Catalog." Lots of good stuff that will definitely see some use in my campaign. Though I was bummed by the exclusion of the quickling, I do really like the 3.5 maedar.

One question, the springheel (very cool btw) is listed as having an ability called "magic strike;" I'm assuming that it is similar to align strike, but I don't see any mention of it's natural weapons being treated as magic weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction, and it does not have a DR magic. Was this a typo?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Shroomy said:
I got my copy yesterday and the first article I read was the "Creature Catalog." Lots of good stuff that will definitely see some use in my campaign. Though I was bummed by the exclusion of the quickling, I do really like the 3.5 maedar.

Thanks! I'm still holding out hope that the quickling will pop up at a later date.

Shroomy said:
One question, the springheel (very cool btw) is listed as having an ability called "magic strike;" I'm assuming that it is similar to align strike, but I don't see any mention of it's natural weapons being treated as magic weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction, and it does not have a DR magic. Was this a typo?

Demiurge can address his intent, but I can confirm that magic strike is exactly as you stated. It's one of the few things I like about the MMIV...the simplification of the usual sentence about "X's weapons are treated as X for overcoming DR" to aligned strike, magic strike, etc. I hope this becomes a standard soon, as it really saves on wordcount. ;)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Shroomy said:
Springheels do intentionally have the ability to penetrate DR as if they had magic weapons, even though their own DR isn't /magic, yes. Like Shade mentioned, the MMIV's treatment of "this creature's natural weapons count as X for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction" is a lot more elegant and space saving.

Unlike the rest of the stat-block, but that's a rant we've all already covered...

Demiurge out.

Shroomy

Adventurer
demiurge1138 said:
Springheels do intentionally have the ability to penetrate DR as if they had magic weapons, even though their own DR isn't /magic, yes. Like Shade mentioned, the MMIV's treatment of "this creature's natural weapons count as X for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction" is a lot more elegant and space saving.

Unlike the rest of the stat-block, but that's a rant we've all already covered...

Demiurge out.

Thanks for the response; I guess I'm just used to the "this creature's natural weapons count as X for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction" text in the main description, but I can see why it could get cut (though it wasn't cut for the Blackbeast of Bedlam).

However, I have to admit, that I personally like the new stat block format and I wouldn't want to go back, :).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads