• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creatures By Poll - Monster #3's special attacks

What attacks and powers should our aberration have?

• Spell-Like Abilities/Spells/Psionics

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Fear attack/frightful presence

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Poison

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Breath Weapon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Energy/ability drain

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Ray, sonic, or gaze attacks

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (please post your ideas below!)

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Poll closed .

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hi! you're in the middle of this creature creation process, but that's no reason you can't get in on it now! go here for more information on this creature.

at this stage, we are now developing just what this creature does. take your pick from the above options, to determine just what this creature's special attacks are. feel free to expound on your ideas of what it should be able to do, and suggest ideas not found on the list above. discussion will follow.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
well, geocorona, if you honestly came up with this idea on your own, then you're forgiven. ;) i can't harp on you; my living caltrops matched up with the jumping caltrops from song & silence. it's not hard at all to come up with an idea independantly from someone else, and find out you basically came up with the same thing. but knowing about this problem creates a challenge for us, in that we must now differeniate our creature from this established one. so:

Advantages:
Different type. The Reason Stealer (RS) is an ooze, but the “alien aberration” (AA) is just that.

Intellect: The RS is as stupid as any ooze, however we’ve established that the AA is highly intelligent.

Size: the RS is medium, the AA is huge.

Disadvantages:
Similarity. Basically, they’re both oozy-things that eat people and drain their life/aspect. It hunts underground – maybe the AA can hunt in forests too or something? We can probably work around this though, by making the AA more distinct.

Geocorona

First Post
The fearsomeness factor won't depend too much on what it tries to duplicate, since it will always be a huge and grotesque version. Frightful presence would make sense in that regard. Imagine seeing a huge deformed version of your friend who just got whammied come bursting out of the ground.

If it does drain abilities as a side effect of its info-gathering, I wasn't thinking it would be any permanent loss--I was thinking the real damage would come from being a huge intelligent brute with stolen spells, combat skills, and knowledge about the party.

The challenge is going to be in simplifying the process for generating the monster's stats and attacks.

If being oozelike when dormant is too much like the reason stealer, it could always be a nanotech powder.

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Geo: I think the two abilities you listed differentiates it quite a lot from the reasonstealer, so no need to change it to powder.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads