D&D General Creatures Obscure & Underused

Mercurius

Legend
That explains it. I dont believe anything on FB, I havent been on it in about 10 years when I realized it was nothing more than the worlds washing line. I deactivated my account and they updated their security so many times that I cant even get back into mine anymore.

Yeah, not a fan. But the doggy is legit, I think.

Omand

Hero
OK, slight thread resurrection here.

Another underused creature is the Nilbog.

Everyone knows about it because of its annoying nature, but I can't recall ever coming across it in any adventures I read or ran over the years. Or was I just fortunate/unfortunate in what I ran?

The description does make it annoying, but might be worth something for a one-shot?

Cheers :)

Omand

Hero
Oooh, and another one that is obscure/underused (although perhaps deservedly so).

The Hippocampus, half fish/seahorse and half horse. I have never used one in my entire DM career, and I cannot recall seeing one in any modules. Even in cases where you might expect to see it like in the Saltmarsh series. At least they do not show up in the recent update, and I do not recall them in the originals.

Of course, I likely have missed an appearance somewhere.

Not the greatest monster since the 1e version was CG and therefore not something you would likely fight, but it is a mythical beast.

Omand

Hero
I also like a lot of stuff from the Moldvay basic set but did not see a lot of the monstrous animals it included such as the Robber Fly, the various lizards or the Rock Baboon. The first monster entry with a picture is the Ape, White:

View attachment 123889

which are pretty fantastic albino cave apes sometimes kept as pets by neanderthals. I do not recall ever seeing them in a module.

Although if you throw on an extra pair of arms and bulk them up a bit you get Girallons which I have seen.

View attachment 123890View attachment 123891

I think they are in X1 Isle of Dread, I will have to pull out my copy from storage and look.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Oooh, and another one that is obscure/underused (although perhaps deservedly so).

The Hippocampus, half fish/seahorse and half horse. I have never used one in my entire DM career, and I cannot recall seeing one in any modules. Even in cases where you might expect to see it like in the Saltmarsh series. At least they do not show up in the recent update, and I do not recall them in the originals.

Of course, I likely have missed an appearance somewhere.

Not the greatest monster since the 1e version was CG and therefore not something you would likely fight, but it is a mythical beast.

I’ve used Hippocampus imc, its luckily island based so lots of activity on and in the water. Hippocampus are used as mounts by Sea Elfs and in my mind are a small type of Pleiosaur. Larger Pleiosaur ‘Water Horse’ also exist in deeper water, and the two ‘water horse’ species will interact.
I’ve even used Hippocampus to represent Pleiosaurs too

Voadam

Legend
OK, slight thread resurrection here.

Another underused creature is the Nilbog.

Everyone knows about it because of its annoying nature, but I can't recall ever coming across it in any adventures I read or ran over the years. Or was I just fortunate/unfortunate in what I ran?

The description does make it annoying, but might be worth something for a one-shot?

Castle Greyhawk 1e has some, as might be expected. My first thought was C5 The Bane of Llewellyn for the Ishcabebble punning one with things like the Caesar Slaad, but turns out they are not in there. Not sure off the top of my head if C4 and C5 were from before the Fiend Folio.

Omand

Hero
Castle Greyhawk 1e has some, as might be expected. My first thought was C5 The Bane of Llewellyn for the Ishcabebble punning one with things like the Caesar Slaad, but turns out they are not in there. Not sure off the top of my head if C4 and C5 were from before the Fiend Folio.

Thanks Voadam. I have never read or run WG7, and based upon reviews I have read I don't think I ever will (satire adventures are not my thing). Should have guessed that Nilbogs made it in there.

Weiley31

Legend
Well there are two that are probably not obscure, as they originated in the Monster Manual III of 3.5, but I would say that they are both underused.

The Stonesinger(or Tralusk as they are also known as): It's basically a Lovecraftian Scorpion creature(so Abberration naturally) that originate from the Elemental Plane of Earth. And instead of a stinger, their tails end in a lamprey mouth. They pretty much SLAs such as Wall of Earth, meld into stone, and Shape Stone. With an INT score of 16, they are pretty smart. One of their most interesting aspects is that they can appreciate music. See they pretty much sing(hence the singer part in their names) and they have a pretty big appreciation for it. To the point that it's possible for a PC to pretty much "avoid" a confrontation against them via impressing them with a song. So being able to lock down a fight via a Performance check is pretty interesting. Of course there are catches, especially if your DM wants to add in complications See if they end up "liking" your singing too much or if they desire an "audience" for their own singing and choirs, you may end up being entombed in a stone block from the neck down, with your head pretty much left alone. And then your pretty much forced to listen to them sing until they grow tired of ya and eat ya.

I technically want to play as one in 5E, which may prove a bit interesting. Pretty much using the Half-Elf as the base with something swapped out for Stonecunning. Slap on the College of the Opera Bard Subclass and there ya goish I guess?

The next one up is the Ragewalker. War-torn fey that, instead of embodying nature like most fey, end up embodying the battlefield and are pretty much Berserker Fey when ya think about it. They are pretty much in a constant Barbarian rage, but they spread that rage all around causing everybody to go rage crazy. They are surrounded by floating weapons of the battlefield and any attempt to shoot ranged attacks at them will either cause the shots to get deflected by said floating weapons OR being deflected back at the shooter. The most unique thing about Ragewalkers is that they have a strange "kinship" with Living Spells so they are fully capable of gaining control and commanding Living Spells. They wear tight fitting metal armor and their main weapons are Spiked Chains, the Weapon Cloud that surrounds them, and few SLA abilities such as Blade Wall and Wall of Fire.

Remove ads