D&D General Creatures Obscure & Underused

Voadam

Legend
There's one in Palace of the Silver Princess.
Chained up in the bathchamber if I recall.
Must be in the revised version then. I don't have the green cover revision but I do have the original orange covered one and there are no apes in it. One bath chamber has a diger and the other one will be investigated by an ubue if the party makes noise.

I also have B1-9 In Search of Adventure and now that I look it has them in the Silver Princess portion, in the room right before the bath.

ccs

41st lv DM
Must be in the revised version then. I don't have the green cover revision but I do have the original orange covered one and there are no apes in it. One bath chamber has a diger and the other one will be investigated by an ubue if the party makes noise.

I also have B1-9 In Search of Adventure and now that I look it has them in the Silver Princess portion, in the room right before the bath.

Yes, I have the Green cover version.
You're right, it's in the room right before the bath chamber. I've always assumed as a guardian.

Quartz

Hero
How come no one thought of one of the most dangerous one shot monster for low level that appeared in only one official adventure and made many players screams at my table? The Brain Collector from Castle Amber! That was a nasty one.

Didn't that reappear in the 3E Epic Level Handbook?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Monsters I like but haven’t used yet:

Belkir
Asthma-inducing smoke elementals that like to stick their claws down your throat and slash your lungs to ribbons from the inside.
In Pathfinder 1e, they resembled bat-winged beetles.

Drolem
A golem created from the corpses of dragons. I’ve incorporated them into my take on Eberron (Aundair uses them as tanks), but my players haven’t fought one yet.

Grootslang
A giant snake-elephant thing.

Neh-Thalggu (Brain Collector)
Something like a giant crab with a row of brains on the top of its shell.
I see them as Deathclaws to the Illithids’ Enclave (if you’ve ever played Fallout 2, then you should know what I’m talking about).

Sahuagin
Okay, first off, I’ve fought these things as a player. I think they are awesome...but I’ll never ever use them as a DM.
Nothing I do with the Sea Devils will ever top what my dad did.
You see, my dad envisioned the sahuagin as humanoid hyper-carnivorous salmon, and even years later, everyone involved in that campaign still refers to it as “the Invasion of the Horny Fish-Men”.

Vegepygmy
Haven’t used these guys yet, but I’m currently building a homebrew setting where they will play an important role.

Remove ads