• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

crime? what a rippoff!!

nearly forgot.

a note on power level/balance. never been a problem. ever. we are the dm's. players want a 5 level prestige class available at level 8 that can challenge great wyrms? done.

just don't cry when that world/creature/situation crushes your character anyway...

great wyrms have been destroying mighty mighty mighty enemies for millennia.

"you fools actually thought sheer power would beat THAT?!?!?!?!?!"
- insert maniacal laughter here -

the great powers in our campaigns are not there because of sheer might (though that likely helps). they are there because they are smart enough to remain.

we don't even deliberately create counters to player "delusion". our worlds function well enough to manage anyone.

this of course breeds smart players. these guys would be the godfather, jasonbourne, merlin all in one.

a quote that sums this attitude up comes courtesy of mike pondsmith (the ultimate 'punk)

"morgan blackhand, the greatest solo (combat character) in the game. i played him smart, ruthless and professional. he isn't the kind of guy to walk into the sharp end for anyone. he isn't still alive because he is the best in the world. he is the best in the world because he is still alive" - uncle mike on power characters

rossik

Explorer
i would like to be king gidorah!

i really like the title of your topics, Funky!

so, i never used thieves guild, but that im reading RC and the basic d&d book, i realize that is supose to be very commom a city to have a thiefs guild.

thats actualy opened some doors to me (and the name "Master Thief" is so damn cool!!!)

rossik said:
i would like to be king gidorah!

i really like the title of your topics, Funky!

so, i never used thieves guild, but that im reading RC and the basic d&d book, i realize that is supose to be very commom a city to have a thiefs guild.

thats actualy opened some doors to me (and the name "Master Thief" is so damn cool!!!)

if you ever come to play in our game.... done. your character will be anointed "king ghidora" with all the powers and drawbacks. heeheeheehee!!

glad you like the titles. believe it or not, every title is part of a conversation our gaming group has had. so they are like quotes.

we have some guilds in our game, but just as often, a town or city might be relatively crime free, or just have competing local gangs.

one of the strange things that always stuck out like a sore thumb is that in fantasy literature, or rpg world design, big thieves guilds/crime syndicates seem to flourish wherever there is a strong presence of wizards/arcane guilds or massive church presence.

see where that is going? hahahahahaha!!!

of course, in our game, we have an answer for that (mroe than one actually)

has anyone else addressed this?

rossik

Explorer
funny thing, i just finished reading the icedale trilogy, and the strongest thieves guild had a very powerfull wizard (or not so...ehehe).

Remove ads