D&D 5E Criminal Duel-Wielding Ranger Build

Nori

First Post
So, my Tiefling Monk didn't happen due to monk-related confusion. So I talked to my D&D'ers whom I play with and decided to make a Half-Human Half-Drow Criminal Ranger from the deserts of Faerûn.

Stats are:
Str: 9
Dex: 15
Con: 14
Int:12
Wis:10
Cha: 13

Any suggestions on possible feats (Varient) and fighting styles (duel-wielder/bow) or change of stats.

Last edited:

Nori

First Post
Well, again. Not sure which would work better. I am leaning towards Ranger or Rogue over other classes, again very noob to D&D.

agreenspan

First Post
the confusion comes from the title. thief is a rogue archetype and ranger is a different class. i personally think neither are especially good...

Nori

First Post
So, a half-elf with drow magic? Or is it just a refluff of variant human?

I utilize a character sheet app, and it shows a Varient Half-Elf with Drow Spell option. I may be wrong, though. As I say before, super noob, only my second character.

Kithas

First Post
Depends on what you want. In the title you mention dual wielding. If that is indeed your goal then Ranger does pretty well in that regard, not the best oddly(would you believe paladin?) but pretty well. They get the twf fighting style and hunter definitely has some great features to help you, from hordebreaker or colossus slayer to multiattack defense and whirlwind attack they have some great stuff. Your problems come in when you look at spells. Ranger's rely pretty heavily on that bonus action to use and manipulate their spells, casting/moving hunter's mark, entangling strike, lightning arrow, hail of thorns etc all use the bonus action. And these are some of the best things about rangers.
If you definitely want to go ranger though, grab twf, some rapiers and Dual Wielder asap. That extra ac and d8 damage is necessary to keep you competitive. I'm glad you didn't forget to get a decent con score. Don't forget to increase it as you level, you'll need it.

Hope that helps!

LightningArrow

First Post
"Half-Human Half-Drow" What?

Anyway, dual-wielding is decent for rangers due to Hunter's Mark, but I'd check your group composition: if there's no one in the back lines, an archer is good (they get better spells, anyway).
If your campaign is more focused on boss fights, take Colossus Slayer. If it's more focused on war/mob fighting, go for Horde Breaker. Don't even think about Giant Killer. If you like Stealth, take Pass Without Trace at 5th-level and a rogue multiclass for Expertise/Cunning Action and never get caught again.

RCanine

First Post
You'll probably want that 13 in WIS not CHA, since WIS is your spellcasting score. You're also not adding in your racials, so your final ability scores would be:

STR 9
DEX 16 (+1 from Half-Elf)
CON 14
INT 12
WIS 14 (+1 from Half-Elf)
CHA 12 (+2 from Half-Elf)

Those are pretty legit ranger stats. You'll probably want to start out with a pair of short swords, leather armor, and few daggers as well. You could go strength-based, rather than dex-based:

STR 16 (+1 from Half-Elf)
DEX 14
CON 12
INT 9
WIS 14 (+1 from Half-Elf)
CHA 12 (+2 from Half-Elf)

And you'd want about six hand axes and scale mail.

One thing though: it's probably a bad idea to play any character just from a character sheet app. Get the rules and read them. If you can't afford to buy them, get the basic rules and play one of them main four classes. The options your choosing are from splatbooks and it's probably not a good idea just to trust the app to be right.

Remove ads