• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crit Range???

Nvvyn

First Post
Someone Please tell me the crit range of a person wielding 2 keen scimitars and HAS the improved crit feat. I know the scimitar is 18-20, improved doubles it, then keen doubles again, but what is the final result? Pls lay out the info in a user friendly manner :)

Nvvyn

First Post
how do u get 12-20 can u explain it to me? perhpas tell me in the phb, or dmg where this is found? I am getting varied answers, many say 12-20 and many say 15-20

Crothian

First Post
Ok, the original crit range is 18-20 or 3 numbers (18, 19, 20). Each time it's doubled, it adds the orginal as pure the doubling rules. So keen increases it by three to 15-20, and improved crit increases this by another 3 or 12-20

Azger

First Post
Nvvyn said:
how do u get 12-20 can u explain it to me? perhpas tell me in the phb, or dmg where this is found? I am getting varied answers, many say 12-20 and many say 15-20

Scimitar 18-20
Keen Scimitar 15-20
Imp Crit w/Normal Scimitar 15-20
Imp Crit w/Keen Scimitar 12-20

The thing to remember with the doubling effects that stack is that when you double then double again you only get a tripple. Each doubling adds 100% to the original. Thus you have keen (+100%) and imp crit (+100%) resulting in x3 (+200%) of the original crit range.

I hope this helped.

From SRD:Improved Critical [General]

Prerequisites: Proficient with weapon, base attack bonus +8 or higher.

Benefit: When using the weapon the character selected, the character's threat range is doubled.

Special: The character can gain this feat multiple times. The effects do not stack. Each time the character takes the feat, it applies to a new weapon.

Note: "Keen" magic weapons also double their normal, nonmagical threat range. As with all doubled doublings, the result is triple.

Edit: Added SRD Reference

Last edited:

Remove ads