• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Critical Hits

Vanye

Explorer
So, reading through the new Basic rules, I'm not finding what constitutes a critical hit. I can find the rules for what HAPPENS on a critical hit (P75; roll all damage dice twice, then add modifiers), but I don't see anything, even when searching using the search function, what constitutes a critical hit. Is it just a natural 20? Is it a nat 20 that also hits the AC? Is it a nat 20 that you have to roll to confirm a hit?

Any help finding this information would be appreciated!

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
5B said:
If the d20 roll for an attack is a 20, the attack hits regardless of any modifiers or the target’s AC. In addition, the attack is a critical hit, as explained later in this chapter.

Thaumaturge.

Vanye

Explorer
Thank you both. For some reason, Adobe Reader isn't finding that section when is search for critical, or critical hit. Even if I'm on that page, it ignores that. I appreciate the assist!

cpendlet

First Post
Also, there are probably class features/special abilities/whatever that give a larger thread range (say critting on a roll of 19 or 20).

Blackbrrd

First Post
Thank you both. For some reason, Adobe Reader isn't finding that section when is search for critical, or critical hit. Even if I'm on that page, it ignores that. I appreciate the assist!
You can only search for headings. Everything that's in body text is unsearchable. You can't copy-paste it either, which is probably why it's done like that. I think it's pretty lame.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads