Critical Role Plays Zelda using pbta

darjr

I crit!
from the io9 article
It uses both a D20, turn-based combat mechanic system which includes initiative and hit point-based damage. A slimmed-down Dungeons and Dragons combat is the best way to think about this. Kind of like Knave, a little like Into the Odd. Very Old School Roleplaying structures.

The TTRPG also takes inspiration from Apocalypse World by Vincent and Meguey Baker—in game design parlance, a game that does this is called “Powered by the Apocalypse”—and uses two D6 dice to determine success, success-with-complication, or failure. It has at least three stats—Wisdom, Courage, and Power, which can add bonuses or subtract from a roll.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It shouldn't be too hard to reconstruct what is shown on the episode. Won’t be the whole thing, obviously, but it would be close enough.

OakenHart

Adventurer

An official Legend of Zelda tabletop RPG exists and it debuted last night during a special Critical Role one-shot.

Nintendo and CR made the game.

Mercer noted that the game was a collaboration between Nintendo of America and Critical Roles
Interesting! It didn't sound like an official thing when he explained what the system was on stream, just that it was a collaboration, but I must've misheard

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I suspect Hasbro will be unhappy if WotC can't publish Hyrule d20. Some times in the past I suggested WotC publishing licenced version of famous videogames: Final Fantasy, Warcraft, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Legends of Mana, Golden Axe..
d20? I'd expect a Zelda RPG to lean pretty heavily on d4s. (Although a d20 IS a sphere of triangles...)

I thought tons of DMs wanted their games to be grounded in the mundane? To have to deal with real life style survival challenges where PCs have to manage every item they have? Isn't immersion important?
Immersion: yes. Rolling for it: no.

For what it's worth, I watched too much Breath of the Wild today. There was 0% chance of failure/complications/Cons as Link made fruit compote (or whatever that stuff was). Nice realism elements: nutrition from food....stamina bar.... coupled with no-damage, 40-foot falls and talking broccoli...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
d20? I'd expect a Zelda RPG to lean pretty heavily on d4s. (Although a d20 IS a sphere of triangles...)
Etsy has you covered:

il_794xN.3957715702_ktlr.jpg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Eh, during Campaign 2, they once had an episode that spent an hour on hiring an NPC to work in their tower. They've also had shopping episodes and a spa episode (the spa episode may have also been the hiring-the-NPC episode).

It's not crazy for people to not be into Critical Role's extremely leisurely pace.
Sure, but that isn’t a thing that happens in their one shots.

Also those episodes are generally hilarious.
There was 0% chance of failure/complications/Cons as Link made fruit compote (or whatever that stuff was). Nice realism elements: nutrition from food....stamina bar.... coupled with no-damage, 40-foot falls and talking broccoli...
As long as you follow the recipe, no chance of failure, but you do have variable chances of more effective meals, and of actually making what you want (like a healing meal that gives extra hearts vs one that gives stamina vs one that only heals).

I started the stream late and didn’t finish it yet, but I imagine the check was along the lines of “does this give actual bonuses, and if so, how much?” Idk about anyone else, but I sure prefer to roll for crafting results.

Immersion: yes. Rolling for it: no.

For what it's worth, I watched too much Breath of the Wild today. There was 0% chance of failure/complications/Cons as Link made fruit compote (or whatever that stuff was). Nice realism elements: nutrition from food....stamina bar.... coupled with no-damage, 40-foot falls and talking broccoli...
We're in Tears of the Kingdom now. You don't roll to cook; you roll to make a flying gunship...

Remove ads